Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Secondary battery?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by sanssocs2, May 9, 2001.

1. sanssocs2

sanssocs2 Registered Member

I play my sterio loud alot with the ignition off. this seems to run the battery down quick. i just bought another battery and plan to hook it up to the sterio and use the other one for the ignition. what is the best way to hook up the secondary battey to the alternator? what gauge wire?

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You'll need to get a battery isolator, so that you can have two batteries on the same alternator. It's a little more complicated than simply wiring a second battery to the alternator directly.

Also, you might consider using a "deep cycle" Marine-type battery for the stereo. Optima makes some of these types of batteries. Designed specifically to be completely drained and charged numerous times....the kind of thing that KILLS a normal car battery. If you plan on using the stereo with the engine off, this will be the way to go on that second battery.

Just out of curiosity, how large of a stereo are we talking about here? 100 watts? 1000 watts? 1.21 GigaWatts? [​IMG]

-Greg72

3. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Yes and No!!!! Yes you can wire the Battery up in parrallel with the stock battery without an isolator. OK, let me rephrase, yes you can wire two batts together without an isoltor, however it is best that when you do this that you use two new batteries, and I strongly suggest the Optimas!!! If you dont use two new batteries, say one old one new, they probably will kill eachother over time.
    Now, gregg was corect, you can use an isolator, this will seperate the batteries from eachother but let them get an equall charge. All the Isolater does is keep the battieries from "seeing" each other, so one cant drain the other, and so that when the back battery goes dead you can still use the other one so you can start the vehicle.
    Now, I like running both batteries together because it lets the amps have acces to as much power as it can pull!! I have been runnig Two Optima Yellow Top Batteries in my blazer for two years without an isolater. I also have the exact same setup in my 1995 stepside and in my 1985 Duallie. All three have no isolator. It will make NO DIFFERENCE to the alternator wether or not their is an isolater. like I said it doesnt wokr that way. Now, like I also said you should really look into running the optima batteries, They will be better on the alternator and the stereo. Better for the alternator because the Optimas take about 1/2 of the voltage to recharge them, and about 1/2 of the time. Also they wiil provide a MUCH MUCH MUCH cleaner voltage signal for your amps.
    I hope this helps!!! Let me know

[​IMG]
    http://autotronixcaraudio.com

4. sanssocs2

sanssocs2 Registered Member

I am running a 600 watt alpine amp for my 2 12 JL Audio W3's and a 300 watt alpine for my mids and highs. i already have the battery. it is a regular truck battery. i am trying to spend as little as i can.

5. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

the main thing the isolator does for you is make it so that if you leave your stereo on, you'll still be able to start your truck from your other battery. I currently plan to run actually 3 batteries... 1 for the starter, and 2 for the stereo, linked in parallel to eachother. the starter side, and stereo side will be linked to the alternator through an isolator, and I figgure this should give me enough power to take it to the drivein movies ( the ones we have in town broadcast the audio over low powered FM frequencies, so you can use your own stereo instead of the crappy little speakers)

I've also toyed with the idea of a second alternator to power the stereo battery setup.

-Rich

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are Crunchy, and taste good with Ketchup

6. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

I plan on using one of those Perko type battery selectors made by Cole Hersee. You can switch between batteries, so you can have the stereo or winch on one and leave the other for the engine or combine the two.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

i know this is an old post but i thought i might be able to add my $.02 in.... instead of running dual batteries... why not go to a gel battery... the new tech. they have in them is awsome.. you cant kill these batteries.. unless you take a hammer to it... but that is just all i had to say..

Prembird

If it aint loud then turn it up!

8. jamiemac

jamiemac 1/2 ton status

Amen DBlazer! Could not have said it better my self. I sell the optima batteries. So if a few of you want them I can ship them to you.

9. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

how much for the optima batteries jamiemac???

Prembird

If it aint loud then turn it up!