Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Secret to installing axles??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TX Mudder, Oct 21, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I just installed the D60 under my truck and it took 3 1/2 hours! Plus it was raining, dark, and cold (well, texas cold.)
    I've installed two other axles before, so it's not like a newbie problem. It just takes forever to move the axle around, line it up with the springs, raise it up, etc. It kept moving, not lining up, and various other things.
    I was using four jackstands, a hi-lift, a 2 1/2 ton floor jack and I still felt like I needed two more floor jacks.

There's got to be a technique I haven't thought of.
    -- Mike

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

No technique that I know....lol, I think it just involves alot of cussing and screaming and throwing tools around. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif 3 1/2 hours isn't bad really. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Especially for bein cold. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Yea, its called an impact...And it is a hell of a lot easier to place the axle when you have the wheels and tires on it, if you can get the truck supported that high...It took me close to 2.5 hours including bleeding the brakes on my 14bff swap...

Chris

4. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Ive seen people fight them to get them 1 inch either way, and they forget you can just pull or push the springs in and out /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif hell, ive even forgotten. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. BAD4WD

BAD4WD Registered Member

1. cement slab to work on
    2. [2]10 ton jack stands,adjust from 24"to 42"high (160.00
    3. wheel dollys (harbor freight 50.00)
    4. [2] good floor jacks.
    5. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifa second pair of hands if you can find someone

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I made this axle dolly that makes installation much easier. Its 4X4 wood and casters and I used big lag screws to hold it all together. Its directly onder the pumpkin.

[​IMG]

7. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I swapped in my axles in a gravel driveway in the cold November rain. Damn that sounds like a country song.
    Hand tools too, I started on a Sat morn and drove my rig to work on Mon.
    That included griding the calipers and backing plates for the 15" wheels.

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Get U-Bolts that are 30" long......! Then you can start threading them while the axle is still on the ground and use them to pull the axle UP into place!!!!

Of course you'll also need a 30" deep impact socket! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

....I don't know of a REAL easy way either! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Sure fire easiest way to do it -

Ready?

Are you sure?

Pay someone else to do it. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif </font color>

10. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

You guys cant complain too much /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I had to take the 14BFF out of my other truck, and put in under my
    new one by myself because no one was around to help. Talk about a pain in the a*s. Then when my friend and I
    swapped out the front axle, every bolt was rusted solid the to bushing sleves. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Something I would not
    want to deal with again. Later

11. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

last weekend when I put my 60 under the front it only took about an hour to pull the 44 and suck the 60 up. then it took 2 more hours to finished packing bearings and cleaning hubs up and getting the wheels back on. When I rebuilt the 60 2 weeks ago I didn't have wheel beairng grease and could put the hubs on I also use a tranny jack, 2 jackstants, air tools, and had a couple bussys helping in a cement floored shop. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

the rust problem your talking about is liek on my truck...and thats probobly the biggest reason i probobly wont even bother to do the swap..it will already be hard as hell getting a lift in it..but then again..if i did the lift..i should be able to swap the axles..