Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Section of cage- Across the Dash??? Need opinions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FWP, Aug 3, 2002.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

Hey guys, getting ready to pull the cage out to add gussets and extra supports. Before I do I was going to put a piece of tubing across the dash like this-
    [​IMG] I just mocked it up so you could see where I meant. Do you see any reasons why I shouldn't add a piece here? Thanks.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Fred, the only reason I can think of not to put a tube there is you'll never get the dash pad off with it there. I can completely understand the guys that make a tube supported custom dash...

Rene

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I did for extra lateral support. My passengers have thanked me as well for the additional "Oh Sh*t" bar.

[​IMG]

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Nice work so far. I still haven't put in a cross bar. My issue was getting that dash pad off so you can service the cluster. My front legs I came down at a little different angle and they are a little further back off the dash then come in pretty tight to the lower dash. As tight as your front legs are to the dash I doubt you could get the dash pad off right now so might as well go for it! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Looks great. I'm getting ready to build a overhead where you have the two bars. It's going to be something like the Tuffy overhead. In the rear I'll be adding tubes llike you have. I have also tossed around just going to a pre runner dash. Still may do that and redo the whole front cage.
    I think I might get some aluminum pannels to put in the opening for some shade. Dzus them so I can pop them out when I want it open. I have a 18 month old red head. She would fry if I don't provide her some shade. I have been wrapping a tarp across the rear cage top right now but it's a hassle and looks goofy. The aluminum pannels would do the trick and look pretty cool. Store them behind the back seats when not installed.
    Well get some pictures posted so we can see the rest!

5. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Fred,I plan on the same "Oh Crap" bar for the passengers!I like it!!Mike

6. FWP

FWP CRS

Thanks guys /forums/images/icons/smile.gif ! I don't think I'll ever take the dash out itself, but if I had to, I can unbolt the cage and remove it. I designed the cage to be removable, yet still be able to do some service to the cluster while the cage is still in the truck. I will be able to get the plastic bezel and cluster unit out as it is now installed, and I'm going to bend the cross piece to clear as well. I put the overhead bars in to mount a CB up there eventually (instead of the dash, where it is now), and a flat plate to mount my Wilson when I'm topless. I think the Dzus thing would be cool, but I wouldn't drill any holes into the tubing, maybe weld some plate to the tubing and drill holes in the plate instead. The other thing on that though, now that I think about it, would be the aluminum (or sheet metal) might get kinda hot in the sun, and a kid might burn themselveves on it?? Why not get some marine grade vinyl, sew it up and strap it to the cage, instead of a tarp? Just some rambling thoughts, anyway, I'll get some more pics up when I get a little closer to being done. I wouldn't want y'all to see my crappy welds up close yet, till I fix em /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

This one came out nice.
    [​IMG]

8. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

A little off the subject. Did you use the smittybuilt front kit? Are the spreader bars (for the CB) from them if that is a Smittybuilt? It looks sweet, so far. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. FWP

FWP CRS

Man that is nice, very clean- looks good. Did you do it yourself?

10. FWP

FWP CRS

Naw Aaron, I try to do everything I can on my own /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Thanks for the compliment!

11. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

All I can say is WOW Michael. I'd like to do something like that to my 1st gen. Only I'd do a custom race type dash too.

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Michael: Is that the inside of the 74 you have pictures of on your site? MAN that is one nice tight cage! What other pictures do you have of that truck? I have a 74 fame and body I can get for free. Needs floors but MAN everytime you post something like that I get the bug more. I actually have come up with another rear axle that has something blown but as long as the carrier is good I got parts to rebuild and gear it to a 4.10. So all I'm short to makeing a roller is a front suspension and I know I can get that for about $100. LOL.

13. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Yeah Grim, that's the white '74. It's a really nice truck!! Wish I could've bought it instead of foolin' with mine....oh well. Look at all the fun I would have missed!
    This is the only other picture I have, besides those on my site. I say go for it on the '74! Sounds like you could use one more project! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    http://www.mkparker.com/goose/seats.jpg
    Here are a couple of shots of the "new" full coverage 'glass fenders from Glassworks for anyone interested. No word yet on the cost. They look much better than my "race" versions though.
    http://www.mkparker.com/goose/blazer_quarter3.jpg
    http://www.mkparker.com/goose/blazer_quarter4.jpg

14. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

If I was to do this I would follow the dashpad.So it goes just above the vents on the passenger side.Then put a grab handle on like the ones the Jeeps have.It would be more comfortable for the passenger.

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That looks sweet! Just make certain that you and your front seat passenger are always strapped in with seat belts and shoulder belts. Otherwise, in a frontal collision you could end up with a 2-inch-diameter dent in your forehead. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif They didn't pad those dashboards just to make 'em look nice. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

16. FWP

FWP CRS

Very true, very true /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

17. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I put a dash bar on mine and have taken the dash pad out several times now. It's a tight squeeze, but it makes it!

18. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Nice cage. I started to reply earlier but couldn't think of anything useful to suggest. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Still don't have much but, have you thought of using flanges so that the bar is removable? That way it could be positioned in your favorite location without concern for maintenance access. Also, I bent mine a bit so that it would form a better looking dash. You might do the same thing by bending it to fit the contour of the factory dash. The cross bar not a significant structural member and could realistically be made of lighter tube than the cage (unless your using it to brace the brow bar). So I don’t think bending it would hurt. Finally, if I owned a K5 like yours (or my old one) and was doing a cage, I would build a dash like Juan’s. I’ve even thought seriously about cutting out my cross bar and doing my dash like his!

19. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Depends if it's a structural member. Mine is slated to become a huge load bearing tube once I put the vertical window bar in. But you're right, without that window bar, the dash bar is helpful but not overly so.