Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sector shaft adjustment after installation?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigCountryx, Oct 20, 2005.

1. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

Feb 19, 2005
    I have a neighbor (been owning his own Mech. shop for 15+ years) He told me that as long as my wheels return to center after a turn, the adjustment is not too tight. When you get it too tight, the wheels will remained turned after you make the turn.

Anyone here ever heard that before? The only way I have heard of setting the sector shaft was to raise the front , remove the tires, turn the steering shaft back and forth and adjust until it's tight in the center, then back off 'till it lossens again.

I want to do this right, but I tried his method 'cause it was (I actually tightened the nut to about where my stock one was) and my steering feels much more stable and still returns to center. Before I adjust anymore, I'd like some input on whether this is a good indication or not.
  2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Mar 26, 2004
    When I swapped my shafts out, I adjusted it till it felt tight in the middle of the steering cycle, then I back of little by little till it was if I turned it anymore I could feel it got tight. Steering feels fine.