Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sector shaft replacement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, May 8, 2005.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Is it possible to replace the sector shaft with a 2x4 sector shaft and keep the push pull steering until I get the funds to go crossover. Or, does the pitman arm not line up the proper way.

Thanks.

Ira

2. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

The 4x4 pitman arm won't even fit on the 2x4 sector shaft. And the 2x4 pitman arm won't work with the 4x4 steering set up.

You'll have to swap it all at the same time. The sector shaft is an easy thing to do, just do it when you do the full crossover set up.

Eric M.

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

k that is what I thought I wanted to make sure before I started and got the shaft in and did not have the money to go full cross over. Plus I dont have a lift yet so I would have to do that also.

4. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hijack, but does anyone have a short writeup or any pics of this process they could post?

I'm about to do it myself...

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I swapped out the sector shaft when I went crossover. Just look at what 85mudblazin said, not complicated at all.

Last edited: May 8, 2005
  6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

pull pitman arm, take out 4 bolts on top of steering box, pull 4x4 sector shaft out, drop 2x4 sector shaft in put 4 bolts back in, install superlift 1104 pitman arm, adjust 2x4 shaft.
    It is simple, you dont even have to take the box off the frame. I can change shafts faster than taking off the 4x4 box.

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

If I change the sector shaft and use the 1104 pitman arm will in only work for crossover or can I put the pitman arm in the position for my original draglink and steering arm.

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you can find an arm that will work with your factory drag link you can use the 2wd shaft with factory steering. However, I really don't see a reason you'd want to do that because the sector shaft swap is like a 3 minute ordeal. One thing to add, make sure you have a bucket or something underneath the steering box when you take the sector shaft out...there's a gasket that seals around the bottom of the shaft and when you take the shaft out, all the power steering fluid comes pouring out.