Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sector Shaft Swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78 k5, Aug 18, 2005.

1. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

when swaping sector shafts will all two wheel drive shafts fit in a 1990 4wd box or is there a certain year shaft for this style box?

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I wouldn't swear by it, but while replacing the seals on mine, I had to buy the 2wd lit and the guy at NAPA told me that GM used the same steering box on the 89-91 V Blazers and Burbs as it did on its 2wd trucks. No time like the present for someone to verify that. :thinking: :dunno:

3. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

Recently this was discussed and it seems that there are two different power steering sector shafts, a variable ratio and a non-variable ratio. They are not interchangable and I haven't found out how to tell which one you have without pulling the shaft itself.

4. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Anyone ever tried to swap a car/jeep sector shaft? I have alot of 4wd chevy boxes and a couple of car/jeep ones that bolt to the inside of the frame. The sector shaft appears to be the same...but I won't know untill I actualy try and bolt it up.

5. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

Do the chebby 2wd boxes bolt up to the frame in place of the 4wd ones, are is modification required?

the reason I ask is I am debating on whether or not to buy a reman/salvage 2wd box or just swap shafts for my x-over conversion.