Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Securing a motorcycle at an apartment

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Robert79K5, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Okay its brainstorm time here. Clear the heinekin out of your heads just for a second and give me some of your ideas on keeping a motorcycle secure at an apartment complex, and the pros and cons associated.
    The only rules are that you cant bring it inside the apartment, and you cant rent a storage unit to keep it in.

My personal suggestion is to get a big ole whoop-ass cable and tie it to your truck with an equally whoop-ass padlock. Of course if your driving your truck and not your motorcycle youll have to tie it to your other vehicle or something else if you dont have another vehicle.
    I havnt seen any apartments around here that are "motorcycle friendly" that have designated motorcycle parking spots with something to chain your bike up to.

So what would you do?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Where do you work ? Some of the guys who work in my company keep their stuff in my wharehouse in empty space .

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Do you live upstairs or downstairs. When I had my motorcycle and lived at my old place I locked it up on my back patio cause like you there was no place to securely lock up a bike. Managers got irrate about it. I told them that until you can provide a secure place for the many of motorcycle owners that live in the complex to park their bikes without risk of it getting stolen, it was going to stay parked on my patio. About 5 months later there was a dedicated secure place for us bike owners to park :thumb:

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

5. cbbr

If that isn't enough, put a concrete anchor in the parking space and run the chain through a bolt screwed into the anchor.

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

link no workie

7. cbbr

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

When I lived in the ghetto of San Diego about 8 years ago I parked my GSXR in the livingroom. Just had to move it to see the TV.

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i had a kyrptonite front disk brake lock, and a cable lock for the rear tire, about the only thing they could do was lift it into the back of a truck
    my bike never got touched

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Ghetto storage..

One guy I know who has a Husquvarna off road bike, lived in the seedy section of Fall River MA,and the chances of anything stored outside,or in a shed,etc,surviving one night unmolested, or not being stolen, was pretty slim to none..he tried to find a safe place to keep it..I offered my garage or shed,never had any trouble in my yard or "hood"..but he said it was too far away..(15+ miles)..he even looked into "storage" rental places,but none were very secure..many were out in the sticks,and had minimal security and cheesy locks..or limited hours of access,his main problem..

He ended up buying a full sized Dodge B100 Van,with no side windows..he put dark tint on the rear door windows,and expanded metal mesh over the glass on the inside..put a plywood divider wall just behind the front seats with a slider window from an old truck cab in it for rear visibility..also a channel iron track to "park" his bike in,it had one end bent up in front to cradle the front tire..and a few eye bolts in the floor to secure the ratchet tie down straps..he also added a heavy chain on both rear doors on the INSIDE to padlock them shut securely..used my arc welder to zot the chain right to the doors!..

You could walk by it,and look inside..you'd have no clue as to its contents..out of sight,out of mind..crooks don't steal what they can't see,or feel is too much work or risk to take..

He now could park it pretty much anyplace without fear of it being stolen..plus he could drive the van right to the off roading area,rather than have to use a trailer,which also was likely to dissapear while it was empty,and he was off riding in the woods..I'd say make a full size van or "cube" van your daily driver,and then the bike will have its own garage..one nobody can squawk about..makes a good place to fix it in lousy weather too!--an old "P" series bread truck would be perfect..:crazy:

11. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Go to lumber yard, pick up a used RR cross tie. Run the cable/chain thru one of the holes, secure to bike.

12. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

A chain wont do it.

13. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all of the ideas guys. I havn't moved into said apartment yet, im just planning for the future. Just in case the future happens in a month or two. :)

14. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status