Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Security, hiding amps etc.

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Ryan88Jimmy, Feb 23, 2000.

1. Ryan88Jimmy

Ryan88Jimmy Registered Member

Does anybody have any idea's for hiding your amps and stuff? I was thinking of making L shaped brackets and tucking them in behing the rear panels, but I guess if anyone easily tore off the panel they would find them. I wouldn't mind getting a nice metal "vault" or something in place of the console, but I'm sure those are quite q bit of cash. Just checking out what the rest of you guys have done... Later

Ryan88Jimmy

2. 1bad2

1bad2 Registered Member

I tucked my amp right behind the spare tire. This allows quick easy access of adjustments but keeps it out of site of those pesky theves.
    Curtis
    88 Jimmy
    64 Nova

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Put my Fosgate 150 behind the custom rear panels I made out of 5/8" particle board, which are covered with carpet to match my floor. If they have a power screwdriver and about a half an hour, they can get it, but it won't be easy. All gain controls are turned up, control the treble and bass from the head unit - Pioneer Super Tuner 3 CD, etc.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Mount it to the bottom of your front seats. Mount it to a board that has a lip (about 1"). To stop the people with eye for your stuff. Works great on my old ones.

C'moe

5. Ryan88Jimmy

Ryan88Jimmy Registered Member

I can mount anything under my seats. My seats can turn around, I think it's called captain's chairs... not sure [=

blazzin- what did you attach the particle board with your amp to? or did you just screw your amp to the back of your side panel?

Ryan88Jimmy

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

The amp is screwed to the sheet metal inner panel of the bed. Mounted with sheet metal screws with rubber "gaskets".

Hope this helps. Sorry I don't have pictures or I would post them.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

7. Adrock

Adrock 1/2 ton status

I got mine on custom fold down doors behind the rear wheel well. they fold down from the top so that the rest on the floor to look all nice at shows. won a few competitions with that setup, judjes like that kind of stuff.

Adam

8. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

I am planning to make a box behind the rear tire hump. continue the top of the well all the way to the tailgate, and the side, too. carpet it to match the floor, and ya got a speaker box. throw a hinge on the top, and ya got yer storage compartment. you could even add a cheapo lock from walmart.
    i'm gonna do both side, one for tools, and one for a 10" or 12" sub.
    i posted on the old board about my center console set-up, it's pretty trick. build a box the same width and length as the console, and maybe 6" tall.(add some cross supports) bolt the box to the floor in the old holes, and bolt the console to the box. this gives you instant, hidden storage under the console (you could add a locking cover if it's for amps), and the console becomes a sweet arm rest. remove the keeper strap, and the lid folds all the way back to the rear seat, making an instant table.

love that truck!

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

9. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Hey Delta, doyou have a pic of the set-up with your console?

Esteban[/b]

10. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Blazin, I've always heard two things about amps. Always give them good ventilation and don't expose them to heat. Don't yours get to damn hot in the side panels? I wouldn't want to see you fry those fosgate's, they do cost $$$$$$$$$$$$

Esteban[/b]

11. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

I actually built a false floor in mine with a motorized slide back cover. If you cant see it you cant steal it. I attached a pic for you. i like the idea about the side panels.

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I agree they need ventilation, etc. But that amp is almost 10 years old, never had a hiccup out of it, and it has been subjected to some serious thrashing.....had heard they were bulletproof, guess I have been a good test for the heatsinks.

13. FULLTOP80

FULLTOP80 Registered Member

IN MY 80 BLAZER RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE REAR SEAT THE FLOOR DROPS DOWN FOR YOUR FEET I JUST MADE A BOX THAT IS LEVEL WITH THE EXISTING FLOOR HEIGHT IN THE REAR AND MADE IT GO CLOSE TO THE BACK OF THE FRONT SEATS I HINGED THE TOP AND PUT A TRUNK RELEASE ON THE LID AND HID THE BUTTON I CONTINUED THE CARPET OVER THE BOX AND THIS MAKES A GREAT PLACE TO HIDE STUFF LIKE AN AMP OF AMNYTHING ESPECIALLY WHEN THE TOPS OFF

14. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Delta,
    That setup works great. I had the rear box/trunk/it looked like a rear deck/ speaker box with lid. The great thing about setup is that if you ever roll your truck, it helps to keep the body from moving in the rear. Yep I know form experience.

BBone 85'K5
    Wilderness Roof Rack in the winter, Skyler in the summer...

15. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I've got 2 Soundstream amps in a box under my console. Right now it's 3/4" plywood with the ends left open for adjustments but when I get my new welder I'm going to make one out of 3/16" aluminum with locking panels on the ends and air vents. I also ran the 4 guage cable from the battery through the frame and up through the floor under the console inside waterproof conduit. It's a pain in the a$$ to get the amps out, but that's pretty much what I was going for.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    Proud owner of an 88 Jimmy