Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Security Suggestions Anyone?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BJarvis354, Jul 18, 2002.

1. BJarvis354

BJarvis354 Registered Member

Hey guys, while I would rather spend some money getting my rig more trial ready, I gotta protect what is mine! My '89 K5 needs some help staying put! I live in Brooklyn NYC and need some sort of ignition kill or other security measure to give me some peace at night while my K5 is sitting on the street. Anyone have any ideas or tricks?

I have been disabling the distributor manually, but it sucks to pop the hood everytime I wanna drive. My buddy and fellow K5 owner had a Diehard Security Battery that saved his K5 (had to fix the steering column though), but they have been discontinued.

I don't really want an alarm, too much noise round here already and no one seems to listen, in fact your car can get vandalized for making too much noise with no cause.

Anyone???

2. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

If a thief wants something, he/she will get it. A lock only keeps an honest man honest.
    I have a steering wheel from Grant that I remove each time I park my truck. If you can't steer, can't steel!
    I have a friend that bought a "Denver Boot" and puts it on every time also. No one is going to steal his truck! Unles they tow it. Another buddy has his dog sleep in the truck. He chains him to the inside so the dog has enough room to go from the front to back but can't leave the truck if a thief opens the doors hoping to let the dog out. Pretty drastic measures for living in Iowa if you ask me!

3. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I have an alarm with ignition kill, besides that I have a separate hidden kill switch and finally I have a Club I put on it. Besides that there are some other things you can do to make life a little more difficult for the thieves, you can leave your Transfer case in Neutral, there is a chance that if they should get it started they won't remember to check that when they find that the truck is not moving. Finally don't leave any tempting loose objects like stereos, cell phones CD's or tools in the truck. You can also put a valve on the fuel line and put a take off steering wheel on as somebody else mentioned.

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

If you are going to leave the truck sitting awhile my buddies that live in the city just remove the wheels and plug wires. If its overnight then get a fuel disconnect.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Just look under the dash. On the lower left corner of the fuse pannel There is a 10 amp fuse marked ECMB. Pulling that will disable everything, fuel pump, ignition,ect. Your truck will go nowhere with out that fuse. The only problem with doing it that way is it will clear any trouble codes stored in the computer.
    That's usually what I do when the ol blaze goes to the "Big City'

6. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

if someone wants your rig, they'll take it. but you can deter them. I do something similar to what bajaviking does. I put the seat all the way forward, the tilt wheel all the way down(imposible to jump in even for a skiny guy like me), put the Xcase in neutral(make sure you're parking break works), put the tranny in gear(if possible), and clear the inside of all small valuable objects.

I looking into makeing a locking mechanism to lock the seat forward, i can just see someone tring to drive with the steering wheel in their face.

I've also seen a remote battery disconnect that lets you disconnect the batter from inside the cab. i think i saw it in summit. it's for racing cars but i am sure you can add it to your rig. it's about the same price as a decent alarm.

ARQ.

7. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

you could do what a friend of mine has on his diesel burb just run a kill switch inline with the fuel pump and that will pretty much do it but it wont kill your trouble codes

8. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Yeah, I have a buddy with a furd that has a kill switch on the fuel pump. You can start the truck without turning the pump on, but it will only run for about a minute before it dies completely. It'd be a pretty interesting encounter when you hear your rig fire up in the driveway, run outside just in time to see the thief stall at the end of the driveway /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've got the red column guard, and it takes no modifications to install. Its ugly and obvious, so hopefully before your window is smashed, the idiots will see it.

They can still start it (although even more difficult to start with your TBI setup than carbed trucks) but there is no way they are driving it without a lot of work and tools.

I feel real safe with this thing. As others have mentioned, if someone wants it bad enough, they will get it no matter what you do, but not having to cut any wires, for ease of use, and hopefully as a visual deterrent, I feel the column guard is your best bet.

10. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Take the steering wheel...

Or get a racers... quick disconnect. I think these are in the $300 range though.

I usually do the fuel-pump, and ignition switch thing too.

Good luck.

11. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

yeah us bklyn guys gotta look out for the deuchbags trying to steal our stuff i have that ugly colum guard, alarm, a hidden button that needs to be pressed while cranking and a large speaker jack that needs to be put in to complete a circut to start. if they want my truck they will have to tow it or spend some time to get it started ? allso have a hood lock with cut off switch. so that make 5 things they have to figure out to drive it away. ps i have my nyc dep parking permit on the dash with my gold shield on it this is a vey good deterant. where in bklyn are you? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

12. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I would get a removeable steering wheel and a disk parking brake. Also find a sticker that says you have a lo-jack system installed. Most theifts aren't going to try to find out why it will start, but can't make it move, that is after they have replaced the steering. Most thiefts are going to pass on something that is hard to move when down the block there is one that is easier to steel..

13. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    My truck was originally from NY and the guy that owned it must have been worried. This is what it has:
    Locks on the vent windows
    Alarm system
    Battery disconnect
    Steel guard that locks over the colum and ignition switch
    and Wheel locks.
    It now also has hood locks.
    Kinda sad to think you need to do all of that just to keep your truck. We don't need it in Colorado but it never hurts to have it. Some things don't help now that I have a soft top so I guess I will just shoot them if I catch them. If they can get it out of my armed garage!

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my final security plan will include: grant removeable/lockable steering wheel, ignition cut out switch, standard alarm system, brake pedal lock, and removable tcase shift lever.

Put the tcase in N, install the brake lock, pop the steering wheel, flick the ignition cut out, and hit the alarm button. Presto, safe! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif If I was gonna leave it for extended periods (more than I already do!) I'd prolly run a beefy chain through my steel wheels and around the frame. Any tools I have on board would be locked up in steel ammo cans that are bolted down from the inside. I am thinking of adding a console that is similar... but it would be welded to the cross bars of my roll cage that the seats mount to. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

anyone who could steal a rig set up like that without alerting anyone with noise etc pretty much deserves it. I do like the idea of the LowJack sticker though... lol!

J

15. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Dist kill switch(well hidden),battery cut off switch with key, and a club.That's what I run on my open top,tailgateless,halfdoor ugly beast.Of course I have no stereo.If someone wants it bad enuff they will get....of course the thief will have to explain to his wife why that ugly truck is in the back yard!!!Mike

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

just a comment on the club... car thieves these days know the skinny... cut a notch in the flimsy steering wheel and the club pops right off. Whats more, the car is still driveable for the crook. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Thats why i like the idea of a brake pedal lock. only 3 ways you could really get it off... 1) cut the brake pedal.. thats not gonna help the theif escape with your rig, 2) cut the lock, prolly tougher steel than anything else on the rig, definitely cant get bolt cutters around it, or 3) cut a hole in the floor and let the brake lock fall off... possible, but that'd be a whole LOT of noise. About this time, your neighbors late-model SUV is looking like a lot better of a victim...

J

17. BJarvis354

Thanks to everybody for the advice and such...I am going to use several of these suggestions in combination to try to keep my rig. I really like the ECMB fuse thing though, since the car will crank over but will not start, acts like it just won't start because of a engine or electrical failure.

I think I am going to try to install a hidden switch for that too...Maybe a simple alarm too...

18. BJarvis354

I am in Sunset Park right by the Greenwood cemetary. Did you install all that stuff yourself? I need a hood lock for sure, any idea of a good vendor?

19. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

just down the road a piece in marine park, the previous owner did most of the security stuff? as far as your blue smoke problem you can change the seals or let it smoke until you get the $$$$$$$$$ for a rebuild. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif web page

20. daimok

daimok Registered Member

a standard alarm system with usual triggers but no horn / siren - get a pager instead. was the only way to save the top on my convertible gto from getting slashed. left doors unlocked. keyed fuel shutoff worked good , carb had enough gas to start and die a few feet down the road