Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

See... Even NASA like some bling!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thefarside, Jan 20, 2004.

1. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

They have dubs al round on six wheels! In your face Funk Master Flex!
    [​IMG]

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

WTF is that?

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    WTF is that?

[/ QUOTE ]
    That is the rover thing that is "wheeling" around on mars looking at rocks. Get off the kompooter and go watch the news. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

why do they build a 6 billion dollar rover that would catch fire if you looked at it wrong?

Why not send a hummer.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    WTF is that?

[/ QUOTE ]
    That is the rover thing that is "wheeling" around on mars looking at rocks. Get off the kompooter and go watch the news. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Screw TV, I never watch TV. I MIGHT watch if they actually send people to Mars.

I was wondering why no air in the tires. I know now. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Actually, the spiral "bling-bling" looking wheels really do perform a function.

The rover has no springs, the spirals flex to absorb impacts ........... but they do look kinda cheezy.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Why not send a hummer.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Because internal combustion engines won't run in an atmosphere where no oxygen exists.
    But that is a funny mental picture... launching a hummer out of a few mars dunes. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I here the terrain is very sandy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Another waste of the Taxpayers money /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you say that? I personally would rather have my tax dollars spent on sending stuff to Mars than supporting some illegal immigrant and his 12 kids that dont pay taxes and mooch the system.

I need to look at the Mar's pictures, I havent looked at any of them, seems like they are pretty cool.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more. It's rare that I'd agree with you about anything political because you're usually an off the wall liberal freak in that department, but in this case, you're absolutely correct.

The space program is by far the stupidist waste of money we've ever came up with. Over 30 years ago we supposedly went to the moon, we've never been back, and we're probably never going to get a man on Mars in my lifetime.

I don't care about all the technology from the space program, that stuff could have been developed anyway.

I support MANY government programs that others may not think are so good, but the space program? CRAP!!!!!!!!!!

11. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more. It's rare that I'd agree with you about anything political because you're usually an off the wall liberal freak in that department, but in this case, you're absolutely correct.

The space program is by far the stupidist waste of money we've ever came up with. Over 30 years ago we supposedly went to the moon, we've never been back, and we're probably never going to get a man on Mars in my lifetime.

I don't care about all the technology from the space program, that stuff could have been developed anyway.

I support MANY government programs that others may not think are so good, but the space program? CRAP!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I really do not think it is a waste of money at all. Many new and exiting technologies came from the space program over the years as did many other government agencies and some I am sure some we have yet to know about. Plus, if you read the NASA web site you will only get a small glimpse of what programs are in store for the future! Last I checked our sun or even our planet will not be able to sustain life forever so planning now could save the human race in the future. With the land pockmarked from asteroid impacts and the bones of long extinct organisms would be motivation enough for the (young) human race not only has something to fear but the likely hood of a devastating event is inevitable. Not to mention tens of thousands of years in the future when the sun uses up all its nuclear fuel and dies what will we do then? But I guess it does not matter in the short term considering the average life of a human. If everyone felt that why we would never have a space program and we too would become extinct not because of lack of knowledge but lack of action. How embarrassing would that be. As technology progresses and I give computers as an example; such technologies will become cheaper over time. Even now the space program only costs every tax payer .15 cents a person. With all the other programs currently in implementation like Social Security (something I most likely will never see), the lack of health care and house for the poor, homeland security and such that failed then and are failing now. Over the years people have risked their lives and have also died in the attempt to better mankind. At .15 a person in the US that sounds cheap to me!