Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SEE YA!! heading to TELLICO in 15 minutes!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by yeild2me, May 11, 2001.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

well, i am running on a BUNCH of new parts! i JUST picked up my truck from the exhaust shop because they had to modify it for my lift. heres is what is new and not tested:

14 blt ff
    new 15X10 w new 35"BFG muds
    new dana44 (not new, but everything but the r&p was replaced)
    new mile marker locking hubs
    new rough country lift
    new ord shackle flip
    new rear driveshaft
    5 new ujoints

i havent even put it in 4wd yet!! man, i know this is not the "preferred" method of testing and to top it off tellico is a LONG way from me-prolly 600 miles are better...but, if i make it, i will have the oppurtunity to meet and wheel with quite a few of my fellow ck5ers at an excellent place. on the plus side, i have contingency cash, and my buddies cell number in case i need him to come and get me!! i have busted my @ss trying to get the girl ready for this, and i am hoping she wont let me down!! hopefully, we will all have a good time and put up a trip report on the board when we get back!!

have a good weekend, and wish me luck!!!!

p.s. sorry you cant make it corey, gonna be a good time!!

rob

AIRBORNE!!

2. timebomb1602

timebomb1602 1/2 ton status

ya sound all set! GOOD LUCK!

<font color=red>1991 GMC Jimmy 350tbi 3.42</font color=red>[​IMG]

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I'll be there Sat AM, I just finished loading the truck. See you then.

Jim '80 GMC
    Freedom First!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com>http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com</A>

4. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

adios, we expect pics!!!!!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/>http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/</A>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

(weeping) I was supposed to be going. (thinking) honey can I drive to North Carolina today? ITs only 4 hours. I'll be right back? LMAO!!! I'll be there next year.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90-350TBI-TCI700-241-33"-10/12 bolt w/4.10's,
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

What a Saturday!

Well Got to meet Yeild and see his truck. SWEET! truck! He did a real nice build up on it. Hell the botom of the truck was super clean. That didn't last long hehehe he's going to be spending some time cleaning all that Tellico mud off the botom.
    We started out the day ALL late. I was supose to meet BigJ at 6am. I was about 15minutes late. Thought he left without me but he was 30 late LOL. Hauled butt up to Tellico. As soon as we crossed the state line we ran in Fog almost thoe whole way. Temp took a Serious nose dive on the drive up. What fun with no top. At least I brought a winter jacket.
    We pull into the pay station about 9:05 Nobody there. So BigJ and I Air down get locked in get all the loose stuff strapped. Yeild was up at Trail 2 and managed to raise us on the CB. Keith showed up a few minutes later. We were supose to meet another guy in a Full size Wagoneer at 9:30 at trail 4....well we got there at 10 LOL.
    We let the Jeep guy lead because he's local to the area. The jeep was built up pretty good. Dana 60's both ends. Get rolling up trail 4 and Jim drops off a wheel. Had to tug him out. The Jeep broke and a bunch of folks got in behind us. Determind the Jeep had a a transfer case problem. Trail 4 isn't too bad and he's got a Detroit in the back so we decide to get up to traill 11 and stop at a wide area to try to fix the jeep and let this other group buy.
    The other group had a wide variaty of rigs. about half the gorup was on 4 wheelers. had a couple rails and a funky J10 with 1/4 Eliptic rear and bobed right to the axle (Big J has pictures). It was also equiped with a "12 bolt dana 44" according to the guy's dad hahaha. The son (owner of the 12 bolt dana 44 truck) is a Jeep nut and stops to help with the wagoneer. He determins that "were screwed" there case is jammed and not going to get any front drive unless we plan on taking it appart to un jam it. The Jeep guys decide to not hold us up and tell us they are heading out trail 5 and call it a day.
    Well Depdog decides we are going up traill 11...Gardrail. I have never run this trail but heard plenty of stories and seen some hanious vids of truck rolling down it. We end up behind the group that was caught behind us with a couple of FJ 40's between us. The wagoneer guy decided "screew it I'm riding and cam up behind us. Things went down hill from here. Dep is in the lead and I'm second. Get to a few rock gardens and Dep hits a root with the hood and fender of his truck...not pretty. I dragged the diffs some but made it. BigJ is next and managed to stab a eyeball out (headlight) on his truck. Yeild dragged his 14 on the same rocks I had fun with but after a couple tries he makes it but has a new noise. Bent his Go Rhino front truss and the skid was aganst the yoke. He does some trail repairs (jammed a rock between the skid and housing...hell it worked hehe). I didn't see the rest behind me
    Well we Went up hill...very steep uphill....and catch up with the other group who has had some serious problems including busting up a rail buggy and dumping about 2 gallons of motor oil all over the rocks all the way up the worst part. Then another hybrid with them dumps about 5 gallons of gas on the hill to ad some flavor.
    We have no place to trun around. I wedge my truck into a water break to let Dep get a spot where his parking brake will hold his truck. Then the fog rolls in (really it was a low flying cloud) and it started to rain. So we eat lunch and wait. and wait...and. Blazer in the group in front takes out a side window... Damage gets high and all the oil is really making things bad. We make a decision after all the group has seen the chaos going on with the other group.....come hell or high water we aint going that way!. Lets get off this mountain before we regret it. (I was relieved and I'm sure I wasn't the only one. with the other group up the hill we had a place just wide enough to trun around the truck farthest up the hill including Dep, Me, Bigj and Yeild around. the rest were far enough down to back out.
    So after many trucks doing 9- 12 point turns we get headed the other way. Get back out to trail 4 and with the weather bad and raining we decide take trail 4 out to Fains Ford and play in the water for a while and come back to trail 5 and out. Had a good time with that and by the time we made it to fains ford the weather cleared out. The wagoneer was still hanging with us and doing really well in 2wd. Couple tugs here and there and so good spotting. We had some fun but not anything really tough but entertaining.
    Once at Fains it was ego time! Last year both Keith and I got stuck on what I call extra Credit hill. The original ledge at fains had been filled in (for those on the ride that didn't know there use to be a 24in or so rock ledge to climb to get back out of the river). Well Keith gave it a GOOD try on the hard part. He finaly took the easy line afer getting the front up and having a carb problem and taking care of the local mosqito population. A couple rovers came down the hard part and we about got to watch a Disco go over. Then we watch a kid give it a try with a cherokee. That was fun. He about put it over a couple times and with a LOT of throttle he made it. Yeild gave it a try and while not having the carb problems he took the easy line out. Dep amused us all and danced all over the climb After a bunch of tries he made it. Managed to bed a tierod in the process. Me...hehe Put my front wheels on the hill for a photo op and took the easy line LOL. I didn't want to show these guys up...I was the little truck on 32's open. hahah.
    We turned around and headed to trail 5 (rough water crossing...it's not so rough anymore). The first obstical is "Jeep Eating Tree" Nice slick rock that dumps you right into a tree. Had a big drop off on the back and Dep came off it hard and folded a rear shackle up pretty good. With some great spotting from Keith and his brother and a few rocks stacked up the rest of us got past it without much trouble. The next fun spot Keith and his brother again spotted us through a tricky line. without any real problems. I think Big J took a dent in the front fender but that was the worst of it. The last one is a nice rock that you just suck it up listen to it grind on the frame, rockers, parking brake bracket, axle and try to keep off the tree...we all made it. heck even the 2wd wagoneer after a couple of tries made it without a strap.
    Great day! got home about 12:30 pm haha.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Re: What a Saturday!

Sounds like a heck of a wild weekend... hope you guys got some good pics... I can hardly wait to see them. Also glad eveyone made it out in one piece more or less. Oil on already slick wet rocks is no fun.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

8. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Re: What a Saturday!

made it back safe and sound!! we took a TOTALLY different way home and although it was 4 miles longer, it was3 hours shorter!! made it home on one tank and managed 13.5 mpg.
    it wasnt 600 miles only 350 (the map i have said 540 to ashville so im thinking it must be km's)
    anyways, excellent trip, my only regret is not running upper two with kieth this morning. sorry man..mama wanted to, but had made other plans...
    the old girl made it to and fro ok (besides the axle truss, witch well probably go in the dumpster). i really enjoyed riding with these guys, and since we arent too far away from each other, hope to hook up agian, except maybe we can have some more ck5 members make it!! it was awesome having 6 k5's all together!

the whole way home, all i could think about was making all the modifications that i saw one these guys trucks on my truck!!

one last thing, before anybody goes off and buys alot of lift and alot of tires, consider spending a fration of that on armor and saving the rest. i saw grim "mad man on 32's" reaper do some impressive stuff on 32's and open diffs!!! besides the hang up on the gas tank... hehehe

AIRBORNE!!