Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Seeing if I can repair this myself-

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I have a bent clutch fork in my nv4500- I was going to take it to get repaired, but money is tight, so I thought maybe I could tackle it myself. Everything *seems* pretty straight forward, but it is my first time removing anything this large from the truck.

From what I understand, i have to disconnect the shafts, remove the 241 transfer case. This is the first time im dealing with an IFS transfer case, is it a lot harder to do than our SFA's? Last time I did it on my k5, I just disconnected the front drive shaft, and took it out as one unit.

At that point, the transmission will only be supported by the bell housing bolts. Using a Tranny to jack adapter, support the tranny. Remove anything connected to the tranny (wires, speedo, and the shifter (just the long handle) Start un-doing bell housing from engine.

Anyone have some tips? Tricks? Pointers? Want to come by for all you can eat pizza and beer? :)

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

With my SM 465 I usually unbolt the tranny from the bellhousing while it's still in the truck. Makes the tranny more manuverable IMO. The bell and clutch junk is easy after that.

Shouldn't be much different than an SFA truck.

Rene

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I did a clutch on a NV4500 at work and its much much easier to seperate the tranny from the bell housing than removing the tranny with the bellhousing still attached. its 4 bolts that are pretty easy to get to instead of 6 that are blocked by the tranny.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Will I need any specialty tools like a spline tool?

Ok, so I should just remove the tranny from the bell housing? The clutch fork should just.. fall out?

That really is the only part that needs to be replaced.

So how many hours do you think it will take me? :xmas:

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

not like the" good old trucks"??

I'm not familiar with the newer trucks--the older ones you could snake the fork out without removing anything but the rubber bootie--I guess they put an end to that in the newer trucks??-hole in the bellhousing not big enough ,or the hydraulic clutch setup is different than the older rigs I'm used too?-the things they call progress I'll never understand....:crazy:

6. tRustyK5

Well, the Bell for a stock NV4500 I'm not too familiar with...but it should have the slave cylinder on the passenger side. Once the tranny is out of the way you may be able to get the fork out, but at that point the bell is a piece of cake.

You shouldn't need a spline tool unless you remove the pressure plate.

Rene

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

maybe, im not sure

The slave bolts onto the bell housing- Unfortunately, the way they have it designed doesnt allow free access, its a formed piece that is somewhat covered. There is no way to remove it without removing the tranny or bell housing. :(

Any ideas how much this sucker weighs? And job time? Im thinking I could probably do it in a day if im lucky...

8. tRustyK5

The 241 is light enough...I'd guess right around 100 lbs. The tranny is a bit of a fat pig though and tops 200 lbs by a few lbs so be careful. Bell is light, prolly under 25 lbs.

If you get everything lined up as far as tools it shouldn't take longer than a day to complete the job. I highly recomend a tranny jack for the T-case and Tranny. I'd rent one...they're not cheap to buy. I'd also run the truck up onto four car ramps to gain some room to work under it.

Rene

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Im gonna have to post of pic of this for you guys later. I looked under it again, and strangely enough, I cant find a pic smiliar to it online anywwhere. All the ones I find are for jeeps swapping over to a NV4500, and the bell housings are different there's do show a rubber bootie, but mine,d oesnt have that.

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Hehehe.... it's all about perspective. After working on Roadrangers for 6 months, a 200lb tranny sounds like a toy!

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

well, I got the price quote on the part. 68 dollars list at the GM dealer, minus my discount, so about 55 bucks.

Now more fun. - So it seems that GM IFS 4wd trucks used a different bell housing. :mad: (The whole running the front drive shaft on the drivers side, instead of on the passenger side, like the SFA's.) Might not be limited to only this particular instance, but it is what it is.

So while if I had this tranny on a dodge, I could just probably reach in and replace it, in my case, I have to drop the whole tranny. Lol. Ahh well....