Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Seeking advice...need opinions...please read!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by theitalian404, May 10, 2005.

1. theitalian404

theitalian404 Registered Member

Hi guys, I am just looking for some advice. I have a 1993 S-10 Blazer 4x4...yes ifs...but hey, it's my first vehicle and i'm working with what I have. I really need some advice on what i should do to make my suv better on trails, in mud, and on an occasional rock climb...and if what I want to do is okay. It currently sits stock, with a 4.3 Vortec. I have a cold air intake system, with K&N filter, skid plates, and a towing package. I also have some all terrain cheapo 235's on there. I was thinking of throwing on a 2.5" superlift susp. and a 2" body lift.(guys...im on a budget...and anything over 2.5" suspension lift is about $1450.). Then I was gonna throw on those 31x11.50x15 Super Swamper ltb's on 15" rock crawler rims from 4wheelparts. Then see about a front locker.....(dunno much about trannies..)..and then make some custom front/rear bumpers.(should i keep my towing package?). Then I was gonna look into a connferr roof rack, and put like 3 kc's on the rack, and 2 kc's on my front bumper. Overall...does this sound like a good little set up? I also have a flowmaster delta muffler i'm gonna weld on and put on a turndown. If ya'll guys have any opinions or comments please post; im just a kid, and i'm new to 4x4 trucks...all my life i've rode motorcross...so my experience is in dirtbikes. I'm also gonna see about getting some pics so ya'll can see what im working with...

Thanks guys, please say anything you want!!!
    -Grasso.

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Where'd you find your money tree... I need some money tree seeds :P

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

just to let you know there is on front locker for the ifs diff

4. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Not to pop your bubble but I think it would be better if you kept the s-10 stock and use it as a daily driver and spend the money on something with a solid front axle.

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Body lift, fender chopping (or cutout flares), and crank up the torsion bars. Maybe weld up the rear axle. 2wd wheels will give you a wider stance.

IMO, don't spend too much on the suspension & axles because the IFS is essentially disposable. Don't bother with fancy wheels now... they won't fit when you finally upgrade to Ford or Jeep axles.

6. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I like what Rob (yeild2me) has done with his S10 blazer. Throw on some rockies, 42" iroks, 4 link, rear steer, and loose the front fenders. :xmas:
    [​IMG]

7. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

your ride sounds fun to me! I'm a believer in running the biggest tire you can ,and lock up the rear ,and go. I have an extremely modified jeep ,and it can be a pain in the a$$ ! Some times it sucks the fun right out of 4wheelin.

8. theitalian404

well...i don't know what i should do.

9. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

OK now I'm going to be serious with you. If your gonna drive it on the street everyday and your keeping the IFS then put the biggest tires you can fit and lock the rear. Custom bumpers are cool but alot cooler with a winch on the front because there is no locker for an IFS. It all depends on how hardcore your into wheeling. Lift is clearance for tires and tires are clearance for rocks and mud.

10. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Here's the only time I will give advice on this subject...

First off, if you plan to do some hardcore wheeling (you mentioned rock crawling) then your first order of business should be finding a solid front axle for your S-10... You might try your hand at finding a Dana 30 from a Jeep, Dana 44 from a full size Blazer, or a 10bolt from any pre-1992 full size pickup or SUV (chevy only mind you.)

This upgrade alone will save you plenty of heartache and headaches on the trails... other things will of course need to be upgraded along with the axle, but you will be well on your way to having a trail capable truck.

The other option is to find a K-5 blazer that has a rusted out body, and do a body swap, your S-10 to the K-5 frame... MISFITS4X4 from this site just did this conversion, and he said it looks sweet... Like a previous poster here, he will be removing the front fenders, slapping some tube around the motor, and making it a trailer queen.

If you absolutely need your S-10 as a daily driver, don't get all upgrade happy... they take time, money, and most of all patience... I was impatient, rushed into finding 100s of upgrade parts for my K-5, and now it's a pile of ash... If I had taken my time, and done some close inspections, I might have found something wrong before it happenned, but I was too worried about the next project.

11. theitalian404

:grin:your right. all im going to do to my S-10 is put on a bumper...(i took my rear one off because it was bent)....and drive it. I'll work all summer, then i'll sell the mug and put the money i have saved up into a real mans truck.. a.k.a FULLSIZE Blazer, or trade in my vehicle for a used jeep cherokee..(my dads best friend works at a jeep dealer). for now i'll just drive the hell out of it...and leave my offroad capilities down to good judgement, and skill! :grin: Then, hopefully by july...i can be in a real sfa rig. i would throw a jeep axle up under my blazer...but ahh...screw it.

thanks guys,
    and by the way...i'll still view this site daily.....I CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF IT! :grin: :grin:

-Grasso.