Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

seemingly good deal...what do yall think?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jrogers, Jul 16, 2001.

1. jrogers

jrogers Registered Member

hey,
    im a newbie to k5's but i encountered what i think to be a heck of a deal. a guy that works with a friend of mine has offered to sell me his 79 k5 for 700 bucks! there is rust and some rust holes on the fenders, as far as i know the only mechanical defect is that a u-joint needs to be replaced and that a tune up would benifit its performance. i havent given the truck a complete look over and dont have any pics as of now.... but if thats all that is wrong, do yall think its worth it to buy and fix up...how much money do you guys think would have to be sunk into a project like this to build a nice weekend warrior, but still a daily driver and something a gal wouldnt mind riding in?

thanks
    Jonathan

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If all it needs is a u-joint, that is a good deal... Most would probably ask around $1500 for it.

What does it have in it? 350?, Auto?, etc......

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

3. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> A solid drivetrain is worth $1500 alone !!

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I'd buy it... sounds like a deal... make sure you check really well for rust on the body mounts and in the other hiding spots like the rocker panels and so on..... You can take a little flat magnet, like one that looks like a credit card and run it over the body and if it doesn't stick someplace it's probably a bondo spot... make sure you check the frame well too for any stress cracks or for anything out of place like twisted or bending. Honestly you could spend a ton just on getting it trail ready and still have a ugly rig... just depends how purty you wanna make it. (I personally, speaking as a female would be more stoked to see some Dana 60's under it then some new seats and carpet. But that is just me.....some other ladies might not be like me!) You can drop a little cash, or a lot. I bet a lot because it seems once you start you can't stop! [​IMG] I know I keep buying stuff and more stuff.... it never ends...!

I removed my quote so gay, vegetarian, minority, eco-nazis who love Jesus, nuke spotted owls, vote Gore and smoke medical marijuana won't be offend.

5. jrogers

jrogers Registered Member

its a 350, auto 4x4, went and checked it out briefly today on my lunch break.....the rust real bad on the rear fenders and tailgate, but everything else looks fine, dents and dings. i looked up underneath and it looks like its never been wheeled...fresh looking undercoating, scratched a little away and saw no rust....didnt give it a magnent test (didnt know about that trick and didnt have time) the interior has seen better days but isnt beyond repair....top was off it today, so i didnt get to check that out...but it doesnt look bad....how much in body repair and paint do you think it would run me....drivetrain and interior i have an idea about. this body stuff is new to me.