Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Seized Engine Transmission Removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bridgeguy, Mar 26, 2007.

1. bridgeguy

bridgeguy Registered Member

Ok, so I've finally got some time to put a new engine in my 74 K-5 with TH350. Little problem is that the engine is locked up tight. Received it that way from the previous owner who doesn't know what happened to it. Suffice it to say that I found enough pieces in the oil pan to put together 3-4 rings so it's pretty obvious that it's way hurt.

My question, since it's been forever since I've tried to do this, is what is the easiest/quickest way to get this engine out? I haven't had any luck getting to all the torque convertor bolts since I can't spin the engine, and really don't want to pull the transmission/transfer case, etc.

Anyone have any really obvious solutions that I'm being stupid and overlooking? Really want to get this thing running this year. :(

I've done some searches on the forums and haven't had any luck thus far...just needing help for this thing.

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

you can just pull it out with the tq converter attached still. There is a good chance of messing up the transmission input seal this way as well as bending the flex plate or so I've been told.

3. bridgeguy

That was another option I was looking at, but figured I would see what luck some others have had.
    I was concerned about breaking an ear off the convertor or breaking the pump. (Given my luck lately, I'll accomplish both.)
    Replacing the input seal doesn't bother me, but the other two are something I would prefer not to deal with if I can avoid it.

4. resurrected_jimmy

if you put a jack under the tranny so you can angle it up as you start to pull the motor I don't think you will get it in enough of a bind to break the pump.

Another thought I just had was pull the pan if there is enough room and see if you can force the pistons up or down, unbolt stuff, etc. to free up the crank.... probably a PITA but may work

good luck

5. bridgeguy

Actually, that might be an option. Already had the pan off and it's only held on with 3-4 bolts right now (no reason to put them all back in when it's just a fancy container for ring parts, right?)

I'm sure I can break loose 3-4 rods at a minimum and, if this things as gone as it seems to be, not like I'm losing anything if I happen to mix up some end caps. Not like I'm planning on reusing them.

6. resurrected_jimmy

if your not planning on reusing the engine or anything in it cut the crank near the rear main cap with a sawz-all

7. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i had a similar problem with my old engine. since the old engine is toast, just chop the rods on the seized cylinders and turn the crank.