Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

seized rear axle bearing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78GMCJIMMY, Sep 12, 2003.

1. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

I smoked a rear axle bearing and am having trouble removing the outer bearing case. I have an axle bearing puller but the bearing grenaded and only the outer case is seized in the axle tube and the puller doesn't have much to grab onto.I tried heating it up with a torch with no success.Now I'm going to try to cut the bearing case in half with a dremel tool and I think I can get it out this way.I was just wondering if anyone has had the same experience and Knows if this will work or has any tricks up there sleeves to remove this tird!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifThanx any suggestions are much appreciated! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That aint good. if it seized to the housing then the housing may be dammaged and you mightnot be able to get a new bearing in.

I had a stuck pilot bearing and did the dremel trick. it worked.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

If the outer "shell" or "cup" is stuck in the axle housing tube,we usually use the torch or an arc welder to get them out--the bearing steel burns faster and easier than the tube,but you do have to be careful--the other trick is to run a few beads of weld on the bearing shell in 3 spots equally spaced(be careful not to weld it to the tube!)and after it cools it can be coaxed out with a little prying.I've had to cut a slot in them with a dremel too--but my brother got tired of waiting and he smashed it good with a chisel--and it cracked and fell right out,after me fooling with it for an hour!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifBe sure to get all the slag or metal filings out of the tube--you dont want them in your gears! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

Thanx Guys! Boy wasn't that a b*tch!!!Any way I got the bearing case out by grinding a slot with a dremel and when i just about ground through it cracked and I hearda snap and she slid right out!!I got a new axle for that side(The bearing wore a groove about 1" wide x 3/16 inch deep)for $75.Put in new bearings and seals on both sides and she's runnin' nice and smooth.After all the messin' around and heating the bearing case and hammering with the bearing puller for 3 hours, I went to my brothers and borrowed a dremel.Then I stopped by Home Depot and bought a Grinding assortment for $8 dollars and five minutes later i had it out! Thanx for all the help guys! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

by the way...ive heard of guys welding a bead around the inside of a race, and when it cools, it contracts and the bearing race pops out...