Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Self adjusting tow in/out

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudstud, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Should I measure from the inside front (forward) edge of the rim over to the same on the opposite wheel at hub level, then measure the same from the rearward edge of the rim over to the same place on the opposite wheel? I have heard other ways too. Measure from the center of the tire (not wheel) across front edge and rear edge at hub level. Shouldn't be anymore then 1/8 difference. I know to lean toward plowing the front tires a tad. Does one way sound better then the other? And then I can adjust the steering wheel with a couple twists on the drag link.

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

centre of the tire.
    it is here that the rubber meets the road.
    toe out actually works quite well even better then toe in with wide tires and bad ackerman on these old straight axle POS

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I use edges of tire lugs. I don't even use alignment shops anymore for this truck. Their "specs" are about +/- 2 degrees anyway, which is no better than the accuracy you can get with careful use of a tape measure.

4. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

MJ, you seem to answer all my posts. It's a good thing cuz you always have good stuff to say. Thanks. So you suggest being a bit wider in the front of the tires then in the back?

5. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

jack each front wheel up, spray paint a stripe around the center of the tread, white works well, then hold a nail or sharp object against the tire as you spin it by hand to scribe a line around the tread on the tire, this compensates for variations in tread, bent rims and such and gives you a good point to measure to.

6. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Definitely go with 95 Silverado's suggestion, it works. I use a board with a nail sticking out, slide the board until the nail touches the tire, stand on the board and spin the tire by hand to scribe the line. After you scribe the tires and let the truck down, don't forget to drive straight back and forth a few times to let the tires sit normally. I use a jig, which is just a 2 x 4 the width of the truck with two pieces of plywood screwed to it. The plywood is the same height as the hub centers. The jig makes it easy to measure toe by yourself, just mark the top of the plywood where the scribed lines are and then measure the difference out in the open where you can read the tape. The jig makes sure you measure to the same height on the front and back of the tires, it stands up by itself and nothing gets in the way(like the driveshaft). Have fun.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

this is a spec that you can play with.
    toe out will increase the 'turn in'
    it is easy to change at home so try a few different settings and see what you like
    real good instruction in this thread guys.