Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Self Locking Hubs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, May 22, 2000.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Are there any draw backs to self locking hubs?

2. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

From what I've heard is that sometimes they don't dis engage all the time when you want them to, or it takes a moment for them, or one will and the other won't etc.....

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

3. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about the auto locking hubs that come on later model Blazers?

The ones on my '90 K5 worked fine for about 110,000 miles. Then they started screwing up and trying to engage by themselves while I was driving. They have now been replaced by a set of manual Warn hubs.

I have heard that the auto locking hubs are a weaker design than internal spline manual hubs, but I'm not sure about this.

Later!

Richard
    '76 K-5 Blazer
    '90 K-5 Blazer

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I thought I heard that same thing, thats why I wanted ya'lls input. The guy said they are new and he just installed them....(funny that doesn't explain the rust on the covers..heheh) I think he meant internally they are new. Actually the guy didn't know what the heck he was talking about. Oh well... sounds like it needs some WARN Manuals on it.

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I had the stock auto locking hubs on my Jimmy when I bought it. They worked fine for a while then they started "unlocking" when I really needed them.. So I tossed the to the side and bought some Spicer units.... I really like these, the internal gears are really stout. But the Warns go together easier, my borther just bought a set and they just slide in and pop the lock ring in and you are done.

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

YES!!!!!

CHANGE THEM! I won't go into the whole spill, but like the other guy said, when they wear, they cause BIG problems. Cheap insurance, go ahead and get the WARN's. You'll be sorry the first time the auto's lock when ya don't want them too, TRUST ME!!! I was!

Kyle
    89K5

7. Black89k5

Black89k5 Registered Member

Yeah the self-locking hubs in my 89 went out one was locked in and the other wasnt. Ended u toasting the front rear. I went out and bought Warns when i got my new rear.

8. S10-4x4

S10-4x4 1/2 ton status

ok...I am still a newbie when it comes to stuff......
    How hard is it to change a set of Auto locking hubs to manual hubs? I am looking at a K5 and that was the only drawback I saw to it....Auto hubs just don't fly!!!
    S10-4x4

9. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

They are a piece of cake, helped a buddy of mine put in a set, took very very little effort. Although, my 85' with 177,000 auto hubs have held up fine. But when they do go Ill replace like the rest of you...

Ben
    www.BenjaminBone.coloradoK5.com

10. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

I have auto locking hubs on my '84. 179,000 miles and still shiftin on the fly!!! They are a great convenience. But now yall are scaring me!!!!

[​IMG]

11. S10-4x4

S10-4x4 1/2 ton status

You say how easy they are....what all is involved....I don't want to sound crazy but I want to know what is in the pit before I jump in!!!!
    Thanks
    S10-4x4

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    They are a piece of cake, helped a buddy of mine put in a set, took very very little effort. Although, my 85' with 177,000 auto hubs
    have held up fine. But when they do go Ill replace like the rest of you...

Ben

12. Heath-La. 89GMC

Heath-La. 89GMC 1/2 ton status

Id have to say scrap the autos too. They are too easy to change out and very inexpensive. I changed my auto hubs twice before i got smart and went with the manuals. I heard that Warn are the best, but I went with Superwinch and have had no problems and have been very pleased.

13. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

I've got the '79 w/ full-time 4WD. Wondering if I should go w/the Part-Time kit and manual hubs. I haven't had any problems yet, but wonder if f/t 4wd is also more likely to have problems.

Thanks,

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children
    http://79guy.coloradok5.com

14. My 82 had autolocking hubs when I bought it.One was locked up,and the other wouldnt engage.I took them apart to see what was wrong,some of the internals are plastic!!!I went to the dealer to price two parts that were bad,these two little parts were $70!!Warens were $80,but you have to use a adapter kit to use them because the spindle nut wont let if clear.The kit is $45,but its worth the money knowing when I engage my hubs there are no plastic in there to reliy on!!!

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey 79Guy, I would go with the part-time kit and manual hubs. It'll pay for itself in improved gas mileage and reduced wear on the drivetrain. Just my 2 cents

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465/NP205,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress

16. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

They reallly area apiece of cake. They are already greased and everything. YOU simply take out the old ones, slide the new ones right in, the directions are very helpful. No need to gease them b/c they are greased. Dude, any guy can do it.

Ben

17. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Yup they are pretty easy. There are 6 allen head screws on the outside, all you have to do to get the cover off is undo these. Then to get the auto lock out in the front there is a snap ring that you can get our with a pair of needle nose and then you slide the hub out. Then you put the new up in, put in the retaining ring, tighten the 6 hex screws on the new unit and your done. Hope this helps. Doug Krebs

Doug Krebs

18. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

the auto locking are good while they work, but when they begin to stick...THEY SUCK ...get the Warn's easy install, great product...and look awsome..
    Kelboski

19. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

hell yeah keep flyin the flag. Yeeee Haaaaawwww

J.D.
    88 Gmc Jimmy

20. S10-4x4

S10-4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks peoples for all the replies....
    S10-4x4