Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Selling a truck in modern times...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Sep 6, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Is there any point? I have a 1997 C2500 I want to get rid of or convert to a SFA 4x4. I think I paid about 6k for it, I crashed it, had it repaired(full paint job but body work could be better, also never reported to insurance...), its a good truck, would be a great work truck, but it is 2wd and for towing I could use something better then a Vortec 350. With the price of gas ever rising, and only being 2wd, I'm thinking it will sit for a long time before it sells at even a price like 5k. It gets 17mpg which is great but still its less then 20 and some people have never gotten that little in their lives. What do you guys think?

Why do I ask? I'm really considering scrapping my S10 project and puting my HP60 and 14 bolt under the C2500. I could have a winter vehicle, trail toy, fun lifted truck to roll around in. See, if I finish the S10, I have to trailer it. Getting that thing street legal looks like a daunting task. So I don't have a trailer to fit it on, nor do I have a truck I think is great to tow it with. Plus then I am paying to insure and gas up a tow rig that I will drive maybe once a week or when I tow it. Seems to me it makes better sense to build a less hardcore offroad toy that I can drive to the trails, drive back, and cruise to the local hangout on friday night. Lets face it, if I weren't building a lifted truck I'd be building a muscle car or some sort so I will always have a bad gas mileage toy. Thats why I have a Saturn to drive :D

Eh, thoughts? Another issue is, I always make fun of people who are still making payments on a truck/jeep/whathaveyou that they have hardcore tricked out... and I'm still making payments on this truck. They are less then $200 a month I think, nothing that will be an issue when I get a job after school, just a factor.

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I think you need to pick a project and stick with it.... Just my opinion

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm well aware I have an issue with that, but my big problem is changing projects all the time. As I get farther into the S10 I am seeing the drawbacks to it, and the more I miss my trucks I drove around town. My dad thinks I can make the S10 street legal, I think hes crazy...

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i think if the fullsize is sitting around doing nothing... work that over and ditch the S-10..

go as burly as you can and keep it legal.. cuz you got the Saturn.. gonna be much easier driving that around without hassle than an S-10... may not perform as well as the S-10 could in the end, but only you know what kinda wheeling rig you'll need...

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Depends on your trails. That S10 will squeeze through spots your C2500 won't. What all does it need too be street legal ?? Working headlights, taillights, turn lights and a horn is all you need around here.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

-no tire outside of fenders (3" flare maximum allowed, have hummer h1 rims)
    -working parking brake (uhh not with that much flex and too much $$ for tcase mounted right now)
    -windshield defroster (should have that working though)
    -bumper no higher then 30" (uhh no)
    -no sway bar (no one would call me on that I'd say)
    -no tires rubbing on frame (with hummer h1 rims could be an issue)

Nothing I can't overcome but I have to do some more work to the S10 to figure out if it will be possible. As of now the rear tires stick out about 4" on both sides in the back, that is the stock 89 8 lug rims. So suck that in about 2", then add some for tires, and add 1.5" to both sides in the front.

I just need to work on the S10 more and figure out what its gonna take to really make it work.

Biggest issue, Emissions. Don't think there is a chance my 383 will make it through...

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh, I'll finish the S10, run it for a while and see how it goes, if I can get it legal, yay, if I get tickets... I'll do the 2500.

9. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

i was a state vehicle inspector in maryland about 7 years ago...im pretty sure that pa has the same type laws on vehicle inspections...not sure that a sway bar is required. stupid things like the driver's window has to roll down, but doors arent required...but if the driver's window is down, and wont roll up it still passes. or if the power steering system...the belt is considered part of it, so no pass if the belt is chewed up.

i say screw those damn laws and move to the south...like i did....no inspections...no smog....nothing....just pay taxes and drive. it only costs me $32 a year to get registration on my 87 k5. SC has no bumper height laws...only 54 or 58 inches on headlights and 60 inches on tail lamps.

but to answer your question...i would say build the c1500 ditch the s10.

ryan

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh I was reading from the PA inspection manual. Few years old(from when I got my license) but it mentioned the absence of an equipped sway control device/bar. Never heard that one before nor do I think anyone would call you on it. I like PA is the big problem :D Like I said, I will figure things out as work progresses. I have this mental image of my pretty C2500 sitting up on some 38s looking completely AWESOME. Kind of tall for a crawler, but good for trails and running around home.

This was previous to the accident and previous to the fix up, but it doesn't look a whole lot different now.
    [​IMG]

11. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

i my mental image of the 2500 looks better than the s10.

need a daily driver though...

ryan

12. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

should read:

the mental image of the 2500 looks better in my head than the s10.

i think

ryan

13. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I think the C2500 would look cool with a D60 under it and some 38's. I like divorced t-cases because I can use them to easily make a 2wd into a 4wd and it's easy to swap to a different transmission without changing adapters/t-cases, output shafts, front and rear driveshafts, etc... and all the computer stuff in your truck will still work right. Just hang a divorced t-case and weld up some front spring mounts and hit the trails :D

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I say beef up the C2500 and ditch the S10. My personal experience with an S10 is that it's terribly uncomfortable to drive, too small, while my K1500 (same cab as your C2500) was very comfortable.
    I also like the look of that body style lightly lifted with beefy axles.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Check my thread in the garage, it will be very simple to bolt up a 241 behind the 4l80E, just need a spacer custom made to make up the extra output length(have friends that are trade machinists). Divorced was a thought but I want lower ratio then the 205 offers.

16. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

the s series are comfortable if are bucket seat equipped though

i own one so i know

but anyways the c2500 is better by far

the s series have a MAJOR rust rot problem,
    everywhere

frames, lines, spindles, arms, everything rots on them til theyre gone, literally

good for daily drivers til they literally fall apart

good luck