Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Selling an engine? Worth doing?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Sep 7, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Do you guys think I will lose my butt if I sell my 383? I mean, people don't seem to like to buy engines from folks other than right from a race shop or from a performance company. I have my full 383, it is almost complete, just needs to be bolted together and it should be a strong 350-400 hp motor, but in the end I spent more on it then I should have. I hoped to do it for under $1000(HA), and of course spent a good deal more then that. At the time I had no engine for the S10, now I have a pretty much stock smallblock 355 out of my Suburban. My dad and I built the 355 a few years ago for my K5, its a nice fresh motor(less then 10k on it) but being nothing special and used, there is no point to even trying to sell that one. Also if I build my 97 C2500 into a trail rig, there is no reason for having either engine. So do you guys think I can sell my 383 and not lose my ass on the deal? I am about to add up what things cost me(just parts, not labor or machine work) and see what it comes out to to figure out what I would want to ask. Anyone have experience selling performance engines like this? For the most part its been built by a family friend's performance shop, but I don't believe he will add a warranty to it.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah, over 1k in parts alone. And I just shopped around for the lowest prices(which some were lower then what I paid :doah: ). Was thinking like $1200 or 1500 for the engine... I don't know.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Somebody somewhere , on Ebay , will buy it and pay for shipping .

Just based on who you are ( CK5 brother ) , I would gladly buy it in a heartbeat if I had the cash myself :D