Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Selling CTD Flatbed or no flatbed?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DavidB, Aug 18, 2005.

1. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

OK here's my problem...I've got this 98 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel Auto 4x4 Quad cab SLT (power everything) 90,000 miles. 4.10 Posi rear Detroit front. Brand new 295/75/16 Ds. Would be worth 13-15k in good shape.

I can't afford it anymore (wife n baby) so I think I'm going to try to sell it. Problem is it has major exterior cosmetic damage from fourwheeling/work. I think the only straight body panel is the hood :yikes: The bed is totally beat, inside and out, so the cheapest thing to do would be replace it. I was planning on putting a flatbed on it (sell to contractor/farmer) and get cab bodywork done (or do myself, but I really don't have time/know-how). I have machine/welding shop and materials for cheap (old leftovers out in the yard) But temps are triple digits here and I'm tired/lazy :D I haven't had much luck finding a good stock bed for it, so I was planning on building the flatbed while wifey is out of town this week. I also have to go thru the front axle (diff, CAD). The front bumper is dented (maybe fixable) and is missing the plastic trim, and the front fenderliners are gone (go go with the plastic bumper trim). Rear bumper trashed. Needs aligned and maybe some steering parts. Interior needs detailed, but is in good shape except for the steering wheel cover - the fake leather wore out so I took it off, and it's rubber underneath. Needs windshield. Antenna is missing...

I'm posting some pix, anyone have any ideas? Body shop guys know how much I'm looking at for the cab body repair work? I'll sell as-is it's in pretty good mechanical shape, but it's so ugly no one wants it. Anyone know what it might be worth as-is? Can I post on Ebay and see what I get? Can I retract the sale if I don't get squat? Thanks for any input. BTW I'm in SoCal if anyone know where to find a stock bed.

Sorry about the pic size, don't have anything to resize.

Beat Dodge 8-18-05 001.jpg

Beat Dodge 8-18-05 002.jpg

Beat Dodge 8-18-05 003.jpg

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

what do you want to get out of it?

3. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Well, I'm way upside down on what I owe, couldn't get it back no matter what...I'm not really too worried about what I get out of it, it's just that ins and diesel is killing me. I just want to get rid of it, and (to sum up my previous post) I'm trying to figger out if the $/work of fixing it up is worth what more I might get for it. I kinda doubt it. When I lived in Texas, I almost sold it to a guy who fixes cars up and sells them...wish I had. As best I can figure out what it's worth, take 15k, subtract the cost of the repairs...maybe 5-6k? The bodywork plus all my work may not be worth it.

I've also considered making it non-op, no ins and parking it until i can fix/sell it.

4. FWP

FWP CRS

Have you thought of parting it out? Sometimes it is worth more in parts than the whole.

5. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

I've thought about it...

CTD $?
    Trans $?
    Rear axle $?
    Front $?
    Frame $?
    Cab $?

Also I'm kinda in the middle of nowhere...I'd hate to get it half parted out and not be able to sell the rest.

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

if you are upside down already get some bondo and make it "look good"... you will never get the money out of flat beddn it out.

i dont like it when its done, but cases like this is why it gets done.

and dont sell it to anyone ya know if ya go that route.
    Grant

7. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Yah, I'm just not sure I could live with my conscience...I'd be happy to sell it as-is to someone I know, or kinda know (ie on here or something) and be honest about what condition it's in.

The flatbed idea was just beacuse no amount of bondo can fix the bed...

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

well.. id LOVE t have the motor for my blazer... but i gots no coin man... just bought a new DD. still have to get a battery and get the Reg done for it.

grant

9. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Yah, I never did tweak mine, so it's no hotrod, but they make some mean power pretty cheap an easy.

Really tho, for a blazer, I'd use the 6.2. The cummins is longer and a LOT heavier. Main reason I'm selling my truck is it's too big an heavy to wheel, and I don't have much use for a towrig. There are times the front simply slides off the trail or won't climb/steer, even with a locker cuz of the 1,200 lb Cummins. I have a CJ that used to be bad, but it needs considerable work, I'm gona chill out, drive wifey's old Honda to work, and save $ til I get my head above water. Can always work on other people's rigs and wheel with them until I can afford my own fun again. It's almost more fun that way, no stress :D

10. 1-bad-burb

1-bad-burb Registered Member

well, you could ummmm, give it to me?, I'll take it off your hands. LOL just kiddin, im not that much of an ARSE, even though it would make my um..........YEAR LOL :wink1:

seriously though, if you have the time and ability to crate stuff for shipping, I would part it out, the CTD will bring big $$$ as you well know, and for good reason.

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wrecking yard prices are...

$4K for the motor

$1,300 for the tranny

12. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Thanx...anyone know about the axholes/frame?

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if you're parting out a truck you owe money on, you're asking for big financial trouble.

14. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Howzat???

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

hmmm... lets see... something happens that you cant pay the truck off... they come to repo the truck, but there is no truck. i believe that is GTA. :rolleyes: i suppose you could say it was stolen, of course that's insurance fraud.

i'd say man up to it, keep paying on it. you got yourself into it by signing the paperwork on it, saying you could pay for it, and then beating the piss out of it to the point of it not being worth anything. guess you'll just have to deal with it.

16. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

I don't think my mom is gonna repo it. :D But who wants to rip their mom off, right? I don't want to. I'm thinking I'll sell it then won't have to pay ins, diesel, registration on it and can get it paid off sooner. Wasn't really plannign on having a family this early, but that's what I've got, and I wouldn't trade my wife and son for the world, and certainly not this truck!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2005
  17. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Now that I read that again, I must say I don't really appreciate the little knock to my manhood. But whatever.

18. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Also

Just remembered...I have the stock open carrier for the front axle and an NV4500 for the truck I'll throw in.

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

someone will buy it...

If you had it for sale around here I bet someone would buy it as is--a contractor or builder,or perhaps a salvage yard would buy dented up trucks for their own use..many people here are looking for diesel trucks,one 1996 Dodge 1 ton diesel dump truck for sale for 8 grand nearby is no better looking than yours is,--its not sold yet,but every time I drive by it somone is looking it over...

Not everyone cares about the body--most contractors prefer trucks that aren't show queens,since thier employees will be driving them(and beating them most likely)...same with a junkyard--they usually just buy something beat up that runs good,then throw a good used bed on it if they happen to get one...they could care less if its beat looking or dented,it will likely look worse after they get done with it..most yards prefer diesel trucks for longevity,and so they only need to keep diesel fuel for all their trucks and loaders..

You might not get 5 grand for it the way it is--but you might spend 3 grand to pretty it up,and still have a hard time selling it--people look things over real close if they are paying that kind of money--personally,I'd buy it cheap all beat up,rather than spend a lot of money and find its all bondo.. :crazy:

20. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

not so much a knock on your manhood as much as a comment on the small value you place on the promise you made to the seller of the truck to pay it off. basically, says your word is worthless.