Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Selling my K5s... Should I get another K5 or go with the Burb I found?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Jun 14, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I dunno guys, I'm so confused... I convinced myself I'd be better off cutting my losses with the red Blazer, and my mechanic offered me a 85 K20 Burb for $1000 with a diesel already in it. So I decided to also sell the 80 blazer I have, as well as the motor from the red blazer. Now I start reading about 6.2s, and find that they aren't all that great... in fact, they kinda suck for power ratings. The only thing seemingly good about them is the MPGs and the off road ability that all diesels have.

So what should I do?? I have a few choices, and I've not yet made any commitments...

1. Sell both K5s and drive my Stanza until I can afford a complete truck.
    2. Sell both K5s and buy the diesel Burb which is nearly complete, but needs a bit of bondo work...
    3. Keep the 80 K5 and the motor, tranny, and tcase out of the burned blazer and build a new rig. (Rust has overrun this truck...)
    4. Sell both K5s, keep the motor for a future project, and buy the Burb.

I'm going to be influenced by what you guys say.... but it won't make my mind up completely... My dad and wife both approved the Burb purchase, but after looking at 6.2 numbers, I'm not sure if I'd keep it for very long... At least with the 80 K5, I can put a new body on it (a few thousand in labor and parts) rip out the motor (another couple hundred in labor) and drop in a bombed 4BT for the ultimate offroad rig... of course, there is also that Nissan motor I was looking at...

The Burb is big enough for my family trips, has working AC, has a diesel, though I keep coming back to that low power issue, and it reminds me of a long version of my K5, since it's red already. It will get modded over time, and perhaps get some engine mods... but for the most part, it will be a daily driver/vacation tug...

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

why do you want to sell the K5 again? You said you'd convinced yourself to do so, but what is the actual reason? Hard to give advice without knowing what the reasoning is.

j

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Chuck a turbo on the 6.2, then gear the truck decently and you should be more than happy with the power levels. I don't find the 6.2 to be any worse than the stock 350 as far as acceleration goes, but my truck has 4.56's rather than 3.08's or something equally stupid. Mine's not turbo'd either...

Rene

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I really like the diesels- havent been disappointed. k5's will fit easier into smaller spaces than the burb will. Thats your call though.

6. 4XSlave

4XSlave Registered Member

same old delema

sounds like this should i buy or should i hold bug is going around. sell them all, buy the burb and keep on trucking.

7. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, I've owned two K5's and two 4wd 'burbs and I prefer the suburban hands down. I purchased the one I have now for basically the same intended purpose you have. It is a tow vehicle for my atvs when we go out of town to ride. My kids are gettin big and it's so much easier for them to get in and out of.

8. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

The K5s are getting sold because I don't have any more money to throw at them... it just seems to keep bouncing off or getting absorbed into the truck somehow... before I had even taken it on the road, I had put an extra $300 into the 1980 K5 to fix the tranny, and when I did get it on the road, I wasn't happy with it. Now it runs and drives fine, but I can't afford it anymore.

Mark, I'd buy your Burb, but I'm getting this one for like $1000 plus the cost of a tranny... its in decent shape for living in wisconsin for 20 years, only rusted on the rocker panels above the running boards. It also has a D44 front axle and stock 3.73 gears with the diesel behind it.

I am getting rid of the gas engines... hell, if I keep my stanza for any length of time, it is getting a diesel. I might even swap a diesel into my Wife's Grand Prix... heh...probably not...

Honestly though, should I buy this one and do the little bit of body work and paint? Or, should I save up a little bit of dough and buy a lifted rust free diesel k5 or burb from the west coast?

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

what 2 dooo??

I think if you are unable to afford to run the K5's,then it makes sense to sell them...especially if you can get a Suburban with a diesel for that price!..you wont have the burden of insurance and registration costs for the 2 K5's,and you will likely make a lot more selling them than you'll spend on the suburban,leaving you a good chunk of change in your bank account...that will buy lots of diesel fuel,and fix the suburban up!--even if you didn't end up liking the suburban,and decide to sell it too,you wont have too hard a time selling it...for more than you will have into it...

I'd prefer a suburban over a K5,its not that much bigger overall,the interior room is nice,(especially if you have kids,dogs,or haul a lot of gear,or groceries!)and they are still very capable off road--you just wont be able to turn it around as easy as a K5...they tow better and ride better due to the longer wheelbase too..and fuel mileage isn't that different,despite the added weight and size..

I would not be overly concerned about the diesel being "gutless"--I thought the same thing when I got my 82 K20--I was used to the 400 small block in my 74 K20,it would take off like a jet from a redlight...the diesel was less than thrilling as far as acceleration,but it does OK--it has a "different" kind of power...it does plow snow better than my other truck did--you only need to give it a slight amount of throttle,and its to the top of the snowbank!--my 400 would spin the tires real easy and dig a hole,when the diesel would just idle right up with no wheelspin or hopping..

.Mine wont set any 0-60 speed records,but its not a slug either...the main thing that makes my truck "doggy" is the tranny shift points are too "early"--it accelerates much better if I shift it manually when I need to "boot" it onto the freeway off an exit ramp..I love the fuel economy compared to my gas powerd trucks--I'd say its about the same powerwise as the 305 in my 79 C10,and gets 5-8 mpg more!..--with todays fuel costs,its a small price to pay to be a little slower taking off..another plus is you can throw soot at all the tailgaters!. :laugh:

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I guess I'm just trying to figure out why you think you can afford a bigger SUV with a desiel than you can a smaller SUV with a gasser. I know desiels get better mileage (though desiel costs more than premium, and the burb is heavier... fuel costs will prolly be close to a wash) but repairing a desiel and spare parts for a desiel are going to cost you significantly more than 350 parts/repairs will. Why not sell one K5 and keep the other? If you really want a burb and don't want a K5, go for it... but I think you're trying to convince yourself that its a $-saving venture when it probably isn't going to be in the long run.

j

11. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Burbs are ok, but to me K5's are much cooler looking trucks. A burb is more like a station wagon. In my honest opinion there are few trucks that just simply look cooler than a slightly lifted (4") K5.

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

form or function...

I agree a K5 looks a bit better,but the Burbs look good lifted too--and the main concern is what will it be used for mostly?--trips to the store,hauling kids and toys around,a family vacation vehicle,--or an off road trail rig?..the Burb's have obvious advantages over a K5 for hauling and towing--but they can be cumbersome on the trail..

As for economy,yes diesel fuel IS more expensive,but the added mileage will offset the cost(a wash,but no worse!)...as for maintaining a diesel,there are far fewer things to replace on a regular basis...no sparkplugs,wires,cap,rotor,carburetor or EFI,and no computers on the older 6.2's..the only "expensive" things like injector pumps,injectors,and glow plugs dont fail very often--all a diesel needs is regular fuel and air filter changes and oil changes using diesel rated oil..they are harder to work on,and require a bit of knowledge,but you dont have to be an expert...I think the diesel will cost less than a gas motor in the long run...and..you could convert it to biodiesel or "greasel",and burn used fryolator oil,after the arabs shut off the gas supply!...even soybean or peanut oil will run a diesel..

paying 2.10 a gallon for gas---maddenning! :mad:
    paying 2.30 a gallon for diesel---highway robbery! :mad:

Getting FREE fryolator oil and paying nothing!~PRICELESS!! :D :D ;)

But diesels aren't everones cup of tea--they are a bit quirky,and take some getting used too--some people never adjust,and go back to gas motors.(you can always swap a gas motor back in and sell the diesel if you hate it!).others buy more diesels!...its a matter of preference,and its up to the person buying it to make the final decision...we can only offer advice... :crazy:

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Ever consitter putting a desiel in one of those K5's ??