Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Selling the K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sparky87k5, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Well after my last trip out pulling the trailer, I decided I needed a better ride. Ordered me a new F**D Super Duty supercab shortbox V10 6 speed with 4.30 gears. Just need to get more wheelbase for a less choppy ride. Thought long and hard about a K30 crewcab and then putting on a shortbox but just don't want to re-build another truck. Order this F**D with radio and rear seat delete options so I can build it the way I want, Tuffy console and tricked out stereo system. Will miss the K5, someone will get a real stout truck. Have enjoyed the time I've spent with this forum. Thanks everyone.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Sorry to see you go. Even more sorry to lose a good GM owner to Ford. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Whenever I see your username, I always think "awesome gauge bezel"...wanna throw that pic up one more time for good times? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You're gonna be disappointed and get a Diesel eventually. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You're telling CK5's resident towing guru what kind of engine he needs? Geez, Tim, your stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I have a feeling he's done some looking/researching and didn't just buy the first truck he saw on the lot.

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Bill-

I'm sad to see you go. Promise to drop by from time to time and say "Howdy", eh? Too bad I wasn't in the market for another K5- yours would do just fine!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    You're gonna be disappointed and get a Diesel eventually

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I was thinkin. A guy I work with just bought a V-10 S/D and now he's pissed cause he didnt get the Diesel /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Gas prices and all

8. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

how much for the k5? my buddy is lookin to buy one sooner than later. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Thats what I was thinkin. A guy I work with just bought a V-10 S/D and now he's pissed cause he didnt get the Diesel /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Gas prices and all

[/ QUOTE ]

All my friends with Diesels tell me I don't know what I'm missin' when I get to pulling something. I know I can't wait to own one.

I simply think that anyone that goes from a 6,000 lb truck with a 427 to an 8,000 lb truck with a similar amount of power will be disappointed. I think I probably would be.

Obviously he didn't buy any truck off the lot. I've been told that there isn't a new, 6 speed truck within 1000 miles of here, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same way for other areas as well.

Of course that's why they make all kinds of trucks for many types of people. Having talked to Sparky in the past, I figured he'd be the perfect canidate for one. Maybe not....

I know I definitely love the whole idea of having a BBC and 427 in my rig. I think I'd be permenantly in love with it if that was the case. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Sad to see you go, I hope you love your new ride. I know you'll treat it well and build it well too. I feel lucky to have seen your K5 and your son's Ford Bronco in person. BTW this is Fred's Armbruster's (Derf00) son. Take care /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Sparky87k5

$6000 and it's yours.

12. Sparky87k5

First off, I've spent hours researching this V10 6 speed 4.30 combo. Second off, it'll get the Banks power (56hp) kit ASAP, and finally, I had to order it as I couldn't find an XL with radio delete, rear seat delete and with my power train combo anywhere on the west coast. Yes, I gave it a lot of thought and considered the diesel but after having driven the V10 with an auto trans and 4.30's, I have no doubt that with the Banks kit it'll fit my needs. $5000 extra plus higher maintenance for the diesel can buy a lot of gas plus I just like the sound of a V10 engine. Something about the smell of diesel that just doesn't set well with me. I will miss the K5 and the 427 is awsome but the ride while towing is really getting to the wife. You know how it is, keep them happy or be unhappy yourself!

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I wish I had $6000 Bill. I know I'd be getting an extremely well built truck. Sorry to hear it has to go...but I guess that's the evolution of ownership sometimes. I am sort of suprised you didn't order the Chevy HD with the 496 though/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

14. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

let me see some pics of that thing cause my buddy is kinda particular about what he wants (he's a poser!) but there's no sense in him investing his time and $$$ in 10 bolts when he could have a 60 and 14 bolt!

15. Sparky87k5

Rene, if GM would build a 4x4 truck with a solid front axle, I would be the first to buy one. I've driven the 496 and 6 speed combo and believe it's much stonger then the F**D V10 6 speed. I once owned a 98 Chevy 4x4 454 auto and never felt I had a very strong truck, at least not the way I do about manual trans and solid axles. Maybe I'm just being stubborn, but I only want solid front axles in any truck I own, being a Dana 60 and having a rear FF only adds to it. Throw a manual in and it just keeps getting better. Figure a 6 speed can't be any less fun then the 5 speed.

16. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

Back in Aug i parked the blazer once and for all...and picked up a 2000 super duty 7.3 powerstroke and 6 speed..i think i have mine sold...a whole 3500 bucks..but i am keepin a few things off it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif and using it on the rock buggy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Bill,

Don't be a stranger around here, you have a lot to offer. Good luck with the new ride, here in cow country Superduty's are very popular.

Fred