Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Semi custom front suspension Q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddin4fun, Aug 25, 2002.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Semi custom front suspension Q\'s

So, I got a pair of 63" springs for free. I'm going to put those on the rear. I still have the 57" springs that I got for free that I had planned on putting on the rear. I'm thinking that those would do lovely up front /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I've seen it done where a set of rear shackles are reversed and put them on the front (the very rear shackles..not the front rear shackle *moment of silence* okay..I think I confused myself with that /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif )
    I've seen it done where a custom fabbed drop shackle that are solid...more like mounting points for the springs are used.

I'm trying to figure out what the advantages/disadvantages are with those different set ups. With the reversal of the rear shackles put in the front...would that move too much to have a steering axle on it?

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Re: Semi custom front suspension Q\'s

IMO the 57 front is an easy looking swap.

first measure the distance from front spring hanger to centre bolt on stock springs
    then measure same on 57
    this will tell you how far the front mount needs to be moved
    add in how much you want to move the axle forward
    I think you could get an extra rad support mount bracket or fab your own angle bracket to move the factory hanger forward or if you dont want the stealthy stock look fab your own from scratch.
    the rear is just a hole saw and 4 bolt holes and it is mounted where ever you want, if you get tight for room I believe the ford shackle mount is smaller with only 3 bolts and may fit in tight confines better, unsure what dodge ones look like.
    longer shackles will be required and that should set you back a whoppin $5 for 2" wide flatbar then cut it to length and drill a few holes

go for it, but do it quick cause I have been trying to get tRusty to do this and sell the brackets required but he is sidetracked with 1ton axle swap so you could beat him to the punch

3. muddin4fun

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    longer shackles will be required and that should set you back a whoppin $5 for 2" wide flatbar then cut it to length and drill a few holes

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh well, then **** that! That's too much! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    go for it, but do it quick cause I have been trying to get tRusty to do this and sell the brackets required but he is sidetracked with 1ton axle swap so you could beat him to the punch

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how quick I'll be doing this. The 63's might be close on the rear. I might be fabbing some shackles for that cause I had to cut some of the frame off for my bumper. I'll have to install the shackles over where the bumper mounts to the frame.
    I was fixing to do a front bumper, but decided to wait to see how the 57's fit...I might have to design a bumper around that or possibly make a bumper that will (if the 57's mount that close to the front) act as a skid plate for the shackles.
    The 57's that I have are the 3 pack. I'm not sure if I want to see if I can get a 4 pack or if I should find some leaves with similar weight ratings and add some in there instead of a chevy leaf.

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i am going to try the 52 inch springs up front i think... i dunno. i got my 57's in the rear now so i will ifnd out bout the 52 up front.
    grant

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you will have the leaves from the chev pack to add if your ford pack is too soft
    and that is just labour and a spring centre bolt if you leave the u bolts a little long until you are satisfied with the spring rate.
    I am going to shoot you a link on PM where we discussed this a bit on another board, may as well steal tRusty's thoughts on the matter while he is away

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Did you see the blazer from canada in the new Four Wheeler? it's got the shackle reverse on the front. looks pretty sweet.

7. muddin4fun

If I go with shackles instead of spring mounts, I'm wondering if it will move too much for highway driving. That's one of my concerns.

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

You getting into Semi racing? That always looked like it would be fun!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif "semi Custom Front Suspension" LOL

ANyhow... SO you want to take a very rear shackle hanger and mount it to the frame for a front spring mount.
    I am assuming this would be a shackle flip bracket similar to ORDs so the spring will just slide up into it?

The only problems I see if figuring out where your axle will be located and if there is enough space ot redrill the pack to have the axle in the stock location...

Rene has been planning on doing this and I think he may have it all figured out. Unfotunately he is on Holiday!

A while ack someone was swapping rear springs to the front. They just swapped the "L" brakct that is behind the spring/body mount and moved it in front of the box and then moved the factory spring mount forward. This looked like it worked good for the 56" springs, but you would need to do a little more moving for the 57's....

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

not too much more as the fords spring centre bolt is further forward

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yes, but it could be redrilled like Rene did and have the axle back tot the stock location!

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

no drilling of the springs is required if I understood Renes measurements
    most want the front axle pushed more forward then stock to keep the tire out of the inner fender and cab

12. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

What's a good source for the 63" springs? What about the fronts, what is the factory eye-to-eye distance?

BIGJ

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

IIRC the front is in the ~48" area

14. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

That's what I thought too, any one else know for sure?

BIGJ