Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Semi-float 14 Bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by IDGMC, Dec 13, 2005.

1. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

So as some of you may have read i found a great deal on a 14bolt/dana 44 with 4.10 gears for 150.00. Well as it turns out the 14 bolt is a semi float and the dana 44 is a 10 bolt. So what do I do? I'm not hard core but the beef of the FF was sounding pretty nice. Would this swap still be worth doing or should I wait for the next deal? :confused:

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thats the same first swap I did when I started building my rig. It served me well until I could find a FF. Thats still a good deal for a matching set of 8 lugs.

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I would still go for it.

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ya, i'd still do it. What type of wheeling do you do and what size tires do you run now and possibly in the future? A 14SF is a good upgrade and will serve alot of people well who really dont need a 14FF...

5. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

Its my daily driver with visions of trail rides and spring time trail bustin....I run a 33" bfg for now don't really see going much bigger untill it becomes just a toy.

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

You'll be fine with that axle! I think it would be good up to at least 38's.. Maybe larger depending on how you wheel.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The 14 bolt SF has internal parts that dwarf the 10 bolt. I swapped in a 6-lug one on our '94 Sub a while back. The axle shafts are mongo, the wheel bearings are huge, etc. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

The difference in strength between a Dana 44 and 10 bolt front is too small to worry about.