Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Semi-urgent computer question!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jarheadk5, Jul 17, 2005.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Anyone know if a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop uses a unique hard drive planform, or is it just a standard "notebook"-size drive?

I think it might have crapped out on me.......

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

A friend of mine has mine right now, coincidently installing a hard drive. I'm hoping he can save my data. I back up anything important but there is always little things I forget.

On topic, he is getting one on line. I suppose do a search for it. I'll not see him for a week or two. When I do I'll ask him where he got it.

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

You have this hard drive
    Manufacturer / OEM / Family Hitachi Travelstar 60GH, 40GN
    Part Number / Code IC25T060ATCS05-0
    Storage Capacity 60 GB
    Correct Name in BIOS IC25T060ATCS05

Just open up the back to check to see if it is 1.8" across or 2.5" across. I can't find that info on the spec sheet.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm pretty sure it's a standard drive.

If you go to Support.dell.com, you should be able to enter your Service tag number, select "Original configuration" as the tool, and it should take you to a page listing the exact parts in your specific computer as it shipped from Dell. You *might* have to log in for that, I can't remember. You can either sign up on the spot for an account, or PM me your service tag #, and I can look it up with my account. I support a couple hundred Dells, so I use that site every now and then...

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info and tips, everyone. I'll post up as I go along here.

BTW, anyone recommend a particular data recovery service? I've got a lot of irreplacable pictures to recover.
    Yes, I should have backed up.... :doah: :doah:

BTW - If I manage to get the pig up and running enough to burn some CD's, what file do I copy to keep my IE favorites?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2005
  6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I run firefox, but IE should be the same principle. Under the 'File' menu select 'Import and Export'. There should be a pop up window and you select to 'export favorites'. This should save a file to a directory of your choice. Restoring your favorites is the same, except in the pop up window select 'import favorites' along with the file you saved previously.

7. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

In XP, go to My Computer > C: > Documents and Settings. Then you will see a list of all of the users set up on the system. Choose which one you want to copy from and click on it. In this folder you have all of your personal files. Copy My Documents and Favorites to a disk or better yet a USB memory key.

Once you set up the Username on the new PC just copy the folders back to the same location.

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Ratch, thanks for the tip about the Dell Support site - I had managed to forget about it!
    Original Configuration tells me it's a 2.5" form-factor HD, so it's standard "notebook" size.
    SOOO, who's a good Mfgr. for 2.5" notebook HD's? I'm looking on NewEgg at the 60 to 100GB drives...

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

BTT...

10. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status