Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sence we're talking about guns

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, May 7, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sence we\'re talking about guns

My Jenning's 9 is done. Cracked . So I'll be needing a new (Or used) 9mm for cheap target shootin' ($5.19 for a box of 100 rounds for 9mm) I've been reading alot about the 1911's. Does it come in the 9mm ??? Really don't want a Glock, had one and just didn't like the feel. Consittering a Ruger, but just wanted opinions befor I buy.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Re: Sence we\'re talking about guns

Here are my thoughts.

Ruger: the lowest quality/cheapest gun I would trust my life to. (but I would trust my life to one)
    Not known to be perticularly accurate. Available in many different configs to fit hands and likes. There older models (P85 & early P89's) are iffy at best. I would look at the new 89's and up.

Glock: if it don't fit then don't get it.

Sig: awesome guns, expensive, but worth the money

H&K: same as Sig

S&W: makes good guns. I hate the Sigma and the Chief series, but the rest are pretty good. (along the same lines as Ruger in my opinion (with semi auto's))

CZ: This is a gun to seriously consider. They are awesome guns for the price. There quality is acutally up there with the higher end guns like Glock, etc. They aren't as expensive because people don't really know much about them.

Browning: My personal favorite. I love my HiPower. It is my carry gun and I am pretty damn good with it.

Beretta: Up there in quality with Sig, H&K, etc. Great gun. I have a 92FS and I love it too.

Since you like to be different then everyone else (kinda like me) you might go look at some CZ's and see if they fit you well. I personally like the CZ 75 alot (shaped similar to the Browning is why). It is available in Double action, single action, and also a compact model.

3. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

i had a cz-75 once, got rid of it and regretted it ever since /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

What's your opinion of a S&W 659?

5. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Beretta: Up there in quality with Sig, H&K, etc. Great gun. I have a 92FS and I love it too.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Ive got every small arm I carried in the Marines /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Now if only I could figure out how to get the bigger stuff /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

6. Hossbaby50

You mean the S&W 657? According to there website they don't have a model 659.

I am assuming that this is a revolver since it used the 6__ code which denotes Stainless Steel.

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

659 is correct, SS 9mm

8. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I have a beretta 92FS. My dad told me that it jammed a few times when it was brand new but once it was broken in, it has not jammed a single time. It is an awsome gun. Fits my hand just right, feels perfect, and shoots like a dream. Doesn't take long to empty a 15 round clip /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

gimme glock or gimme death!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif i had a model 22... and sold it and went with one of the newer versions of the model 17 (9mm) instead so I could shoot hella cheapo ammo. Anyone else have Gaston Glock's autograph?

AFA berettas... uhg, I'd prolly rather have one sig than 2 berettas. Sigs are gr8 guns.

j

10. Hossbaby50

(slaps self in forhead... duh /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif)

Ya, the 659 is the stainless steel version of the model 59 smith. Most things I have ever heard about the 59 are good. It is an older design and is one of smiths better guns (semi auto wise) that they have produced. Good Gun

I personally don't care for it much as it doesn't fit my hand very well. But that is a personal thing. Not a knock on the gun itself.

I personally like there newer model 907 for a slim carry gun. I really like the way my hand fits. I will probably own one of those one day.

They still make some of the 59 series guns, but I believe they are the ones that have been redisigned not to take the original capacity magazines (aka high capacity).

11. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    gimme glock or gimme death!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif i had a model 22... and sold it and went with one of the newer versions of the model 17 (9mm) instead so I could shoot hella cheapo ammo. Anyone else have Gaston Glock's autograph?

AFA berettas... uhg, I'd prolly rather have one sig than 2 berettas. Sigs are gr8 guns.

j

[/ QUOTE ] i hate glock's i think they look act and feel like sh!t but thats just my opinion i hate the way they feel and how they look /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif now a beretta is a great gun i like them they shoot smooth feel good and look great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Hossbaby50

I personally like both (Glock and Beretta) alot.

I have a Beretta 92fs at home in AZ, and I love that gun. The very first shot out of it at 15 yrds. I hit X ring. I was hooked from then on. It had some problems attributed to the PO. When i got it the Mag springs were weak and made the gun function unreliably. New springs and it works like a dream.

My next gun purchase is actually going to be a Glock 19. It is going to be my concealed carry gun. I am going to get it equipped with night sights, and get some original capacity mags (15 rds) for it. Also I will probably get the 3.5 lb. disconnector to lighten the trigger from the fixed 5lb pull to 3.5lbs.

Sigs are great too. I wouldn't mind having a Sig 239 for concealed carry. The only sig I didn't like was there Sig Pro series that was polymer frame and was supposed to try and compete with Glock (it didn't and it sucked)

13. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    i hate glock's i think they look act and feel like sh!t but thats just my opinion i hate the way they feel and how they look /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif now a beretta is a great gun i like them they shoot smooth feel good and look great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

how pretty a gun is is always in the eye of the beholder I guess. Personally I look at a gun as a machine. The test of its beauty is a test of its function. A 98k mauser, for example, is a beautiful gun to me. The Glock was designed to be a combat/self defense type weapon... in that capacity its beautiful. Such weapons should be reliable, relatively accurate, and easy to use. The glock is all of the above. Some peeps may not like how the grip "feels" or whatever but frankly if some maniac is attacking me with a knife I dont give a crap that the grip is plastic so long as a bullet flies out of the muzzle when i pull the trigger and it goes where I want it to go. Thanks to the widespread use of the glock in police depts and military forces, the gun has been forced to pass brutal relaibility tests and always passes with flying colors. Its unquestionably dependable, and thats the kinda thing I look for in a self defense arm--hence thats where i find its beauty.

to each their own,

j

14. mudhog

i agree each person sees a gun different i don't like the box like look of them but if i needed one i would use it lol but to shoot a gun right you have to get one your comfortable with and everyones comfort zone is different. if you and i went out shooting at a range you might shoot your glock better than i could because you are comfortable with it I'm not i don't like how they feel. same with if i had a beretta and you used it.

15. jekbrown

prolly. I dunno, maybe i was brainwashed when I was in the grunts or something but i generally dont think to much about how a gun "feels" in my hands. Its not like the DIs asked me if I thought the M16a2 was cozy..and if I said no they'd run and get me an AUG or something. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif All guns feel different, but rarely do I hold one and just think "wow, this sucks" based entirely on the grip. My dads 44 mag has a REALLY short lil grip on it (the kind where ur pinky is falling off the thing) and in that case the "feel" of it was negative... but with full sized autos in general they are all pretty much ok. Never shot an H&K, but i have shot berettas, sigs, Glocks, 1911s etc... Im not sure any of them felt better or worse in my hands.

at the same time i can see how being cozy with your gun will make you a better shot. I guess I just have the "i better GET cozy with it, my life may depend on it" type of attitude. aaaa-ten-HUT!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

16. mudhog

when I'm shooting other guns if it feels good and I'm comfortable with it i shoot awesome but if I'm not comfortable with it i still shoot good but not as good as i usually do /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

17. chosen(1)

chosen(1) 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Browning: My personal favorite. I love my HiPower. It is my carry gun and I am pretty damn good with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to second that. John Browning was a genius. The 1911 and the Hi-Power are two of the best gun designs ever. I have shot a few Hi-Powers and liked them alot. I'm not a fan of the 9mm, but if I were to buy one it would be a Hi-Power

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to second that. John Browning was a genius. The 1911 and the Hi-Power are two of the best gun designs ever. I have shot a few Hi-Powers and liked them alot. I'm not a fan of the 9mm, but if I were to buy one it would be a Hi-Power

[/ QUOTE ] To be honest, the only reason I like the 9mm is becouse they're cheap to shoot. Can't argue with $5.19 for a box of 100 rounds. Last summer I usely went out to the shooting range 3 to 4 times a week, and I'd go through about 6 boxs each time.

19. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I've always found the sound of one of these "burping" to be comforting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I'll second, third and forth the CZ. You know my Preference but a friend of mine bought a CZ 75B 9mm. I bet we have put every bit of 40,000 rounds thru and its still the most accurate gun I've shot under $500. It was the first gun I shot and I shot a 77/80 on a police target (deduct 2 points for head shot and one for groin shot /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif)
    Truly a great gun for what $350!? New!
    Go for it, its quieter than a berretta, shot over 2500 round in 2hours no jams and it wasn't that dirty (Winchester rounds).
    NICE /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif