Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sending unit clocking position?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MNorby, Nov 27, 2006.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am taking a tank from a 70s or 80s k5 and putting it the 71. The fill neck is on the drivers side of truck and the fuel lines are on pass side. In my tank they all point the same way. Can I just tank the sending unit out and turn the other way or will I have to just loop my lines around and back into the inlets?

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

The sending unit should be notched so it only goes in one way. If you start clocking it in different directions, the lines may work ok but the gauge float may not.
    I moved the tank on my '80 from right to left when I put on a new bed and it didn't work for crap.
    I ended up getting a new sending unit (which I still have and is for sale :D )

3. MNorby

ok, thanks for the input. I can just run my lines and make a horseshoe back into the sending unit. Is there a sending unit that is clocked the other way? Is that what you are selling?

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Yeah, left side and right side sending units are different.
    If you have the room to loop the lines, that's just as easy, though. '73-87 bodies don't have the clearance under the cab for that.

5. MNorby

I am going to tuck this tank as high as possible so at least I have a plan b if it is too tight to do that easily.

6. MNorby

Ok I am workin on this again about to actually install the tank now that all the other under body stuff is done. Are you refereing to pickup tanks or k5 tankin regards to the left and right?

7. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Pickup, of course. Blazer tanks are in the middle. :D

8. MNorby

prob is the filler neck is on drivers side of rig. Fuel lines on on pass side. My tank they all point the same side.

9. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

73-87 pickup tanks, the filler points straight back (ok, at a slight upward angle) and has a 90° rubber hose going to whichever side the filler neck is on. All the tanks are the same but the senders are different depending on which side it was made for. The fuel lines always point inboard.

Hmmm... just noticed that you said you have a K5 tank in your original post. Don't know how I missed that.

Disregard everything I said before. :D

So is your filler on the right or the left? You said they all point the same way but didn't say which way.
    At any rate, I wouldn't spin the sender. It would affect proper gauge reading. There should be enough room to loop the lines. I would bend up some steel lines to mate with your lines to minimize the amount of rubber line before the fuel pump. You should only have 12" or so of rubber line on the suction side.

I don't know what the underside of a '71 looks like, so this is all just conjecture.

Sorry I misled you before! :doah:

10. MNorby

no prob. Yeah I try to keep rubber to a minimum. My fuel pump is mounted inside the frame rail rearward of the rear axle, front spring hanger on the pass side in line with the fuel lines as far back/ close to tank as I can fit it. I could just take my 2 lines and snake them over the tank and around to the sender but was just hoping to clean things up with turning the fuel lines 180 from the filler for this app. The tank is basically square and since I wil have to build mounts anyways.

11. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

If you use some nice SS line, a 180° bend is really no big deal. And it should be tucked up above the tank, so it won't even be visible.
    Just make sure it's not rubbing on anything.

Good luck!

12. MNorby

yeah I'm starting to think that is my best idea.