Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sending unit ground ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tdcombs, Apr 27, 2005.

1. tdcombs

tdcombs Registered Member

I got a new gas tank with a new sending unit. The ground for the sending unit is not attached anymore. I can see where it was once attached but fell off. I tried sodering it back there and cant get it to stick. If i ruff the metal up with a file or emory cloth will it stick or how do i get it attached?

Im guessing its galvanized since the soder isnt sticking. :confused:

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Had the same problem. I removed the sending unit and drilled a hole where it use to attach. Then put a round lug on the ground wire and bolted it through the hole. :xmas:

3. tdcombs

tdcombs Registered Member

Ive thought about doing that just wondering if there is a way to soder it. Probably should just drill a hole and use a self taping bolt to hold it on. But would rather soder it for some reason (probably cause my old sodering gun crapped out and i bought a new one to soder this back on)

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How was the ground originally attached?

I can't imagine GM just used solder to hold it in place. Solder isn't that strong, that needs to be a fairly good strong connection.

If using a nut/bolt method as suggested, I bet brazing would be a good bet to seal that up good.

5. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

I've put a lug on the wire, cleaned the pick=up tube(that the hose attaches to) and used a hose clamp to hold the wire to the tube, quick and easy