Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sending unit interchangeablity?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by darkshadow, May 18, 2006.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i need to know if a diesel sending unit will fit in my 88 suburbans tbi tank.

I am swaping to diesel but my pump is gone now and i want to replace the sending unit with a diesel one and run it with an inline pump for now.

will this work or will it not fit?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

As far as I know they should be the same, your 88 gas tank is baffled so it's great for diesel later, but I believe the sending unit for gas and diesel is the same.
    Now you have the in tank pump and sending unit combo which is actually good for diesel later too but if you are trying to save now by going with a regular sending unit and an inline pump that would work.

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

ALRIGHT THAT IS COOL.

my intank pump (noworky) is restricting the flow so my inline pump cant feed enuff gas.

so i figgered if the diesel one has no pump it sould work for now with the inline. If I can get it running good i can drive to IL and pick up my 6.2, and start running toubodiesel instead of crappy 350.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

senders..

The Diesel sending unit has an extra nipple for a water drain,and another wire for the "Water In Fuel" light on the dash..but they fit the tank opening the same,and as far as I know the fuel gauge works with either (I tested my diesels fuel gauge by plugging in a new sender I had kicking around for a gas version,and it worked,once I found the wires that needed repair)...

The 6.2's have a "lift pump" on the block similar to a gas engines fuel pump...so unless yours has none,or you prefer adding an electric inline pump to ease bleeding and priming the fuel system,you don't really need one for it to run..even the injector pump itself will suck enough fuel to run if its in good shape,but you probably would not be able to drive it on that alone..:crazy:

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

when the diesel is in i will use the lift pump with a place for the inline as a back up.

and i can hook the water in fuel wire up to a light in the future not running a stock dash anyway

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

ok two store dont even list it, befor i go looking even more does anyone have one in good shape to sell?

7. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

The sending units are totaly interchangable. On my trail truck, I am running a 6.2 and my fuel tank is from an 85 S10 blazer, which is fuel injected and came with an in-tank pump and my sending unit is from a 84 fullsize gas truck's saddle tank. They are totaly interchangeable, but I dont have my fuel level guage hooked up.

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

ok i need a little more info on this.

I know the unit will fit in the tank and all but, will the lines match up?

i have 3 now puls the vent line, i have been calling around and there hard to find but the one guy said the unit was had only 3hoses, does the include the vent?

do you guys think it is a good idea to run a diesel unit to run a 350tbi for now?

mind you if it runs good i can then pick up my 6.2 and do the swap!

9. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

6.2's only need the fuel feed and return lines but you can use a sending unit with 3 hose connections, I am. I just left the third one unhooked. I dont remember what its purpose is but I dont think its very important. Yes the lines will match up, the fuel feed is 3/8" and the return is 1/4" I think. If you are going to use the 6.2 sending unit with a TBI 350 you will need an external electric fuel pump.

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The 85 and up diesels had a water drain line, that is what the extra line is for other than the vent line.
    You can do without it since anyway most people don't even know about it or know how to use it, and their trucks are still running. :D
    Well you can always check every couple of years and do some cleaning or put some additives that are moisture inhibiting.