Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sending units for new gauges

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by outsider223, Jun 25, 2003.

1. outsider223

outsider223 1/2 ton status

I'm in the middle of trying to put in new gauges in my 87 blazer that originally had the only the idiot lights. Where do coolant temp and oil pressure sending units go? And if I replace the old ones, will the engine/computer think something is wrong because there is no signal from them? I'm pretty sure I found the coolant sender, up front by the thermostat, not sure if thats the right sender to replace though. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Erik

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I think the coolant sensor that's up in the t-stat housing is only used by the computer. The one for the idiot light/gauge should be in the drivers side head, between the plugs for cylinders 1 and 3. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif The oil pressure gauge is typically mounted behind the distributor, screwed straight down into the back edge of the engine block.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Your computer only needs the sensors for itself, the gauges are seperate. Although a '91 camaro uses a combined oil pressure switch/sender. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Temp switch for coolant should be in the drivers side head, one wire. Typically the ECM coolant temp is a two wire setup.

Oil pressure sending unit goes next to the distributor,(drivers side of it) little plug/hole that is on the intake mounting surface as I recall. You can also tap it in right above the oil filter, but the dist. location was stock for all trucks that I have seen. I believe TBI trucks may have the oil pressure *switch* (again, ECM only) tapped in above the oil filter already, or they use an adapter next to the dist. to plug both the sender and switch in at the same locaton.

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The one for the idiot light/gauge should be in the drivers side head, between the plugs for cylinders 1 and 3. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif The oil pressure gauge is typically mounted behind the distributor, screwed straight down into the back edge of the engine block.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That is exactly right for the temperature guage. But the oil pressure guage is to the drivers side of the distributor. Watch the temperature hole when you unscrew whats in it, you will loose a lot of antifreeze. Oh, and be carefull with the oil line tubing, its very easy to crimp, and when it crimps you have to cut the line off. When this happens, the little ferrule nuts that come with the guages cant be re-used after they have been tightened down, and trying to find more of them is nearly impossible. And if you got sunpro guages, they only come with the exact number of ferrule nuts you need, so dont mess up. I did and it took 2 hours of driving around to find more. If you have an ACE Hardware around, they might have them. Thats where I found mine. Good luck. They are pretty easy.
    -Harrison

5. rob_83k5

rob_83k5 Registered Member

Is the location for the sender units the same on the 6.2 diesel? My oil and temperature gauges are both erratic and just seem to have a mind of their own. Oil pressure reads 40 when engine is off, and runs between that and all the way up to 80 (and all points in between) when running. Temperature gauge just seems to work sometimes, not others (sometimes it just stays on zero even when running, sometimes just below half way, even when the engine is off) - Certainly confuses me /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Any help would be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers, Rob.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sorry, don't know much about diesels. Carbed trucks with electric chokes apparently used the same location (next to the distributor) for both the sender and the switch, so not sure on your truck.

Ground the wire running to the sender when you find it, make sure it pegs out (past 80PSI) and then unground it. Should get the full range if the gauge and wire is operating correctly I think. (from 0 psi to 80+) If that works right, problem should be the sender itself. Kinda pricey to replace if they aren't the problem.