Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"senior moment" the mystery is solved

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DieselDan, Nov 14, 2005.

1. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Alright, the Jimmy has been on the operating table for a while now. Today I fire it up and let it warm up to add some coolant. Long story short, I let the power steering pump spin dry for about twenty minutes before I realised there was no fluid in it :doah:

The engine only idled, and the pump never made a peep. Now I'm trying to bleed it and it's being extra stubborn. :mad: After searching through the archives I believe I still need to bleed it alot more. Yes, the wheels are off the ground, steering turned back and forth; but I have NO ASSIST or noise what-so-ever. What are the chances I burnt up my pump? Surely someone has lost fluid in their pump, did it wipe the seals out?

Damn, I feel extra stupid today :mad:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  2. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Maybe I've just been lucky,I've run a few of mine dry before and they survived...:doah:

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Well that makes me feel a little better. Anyone else?

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I've had a power steering leak in the K5 since I've had it. Over the time I was deployed, the PS went dry. Come back home and figured the girlfriend was topping off fluids as necesssary (and like she said she was). Found out that was not the case. Drove the truck 5 miles to the auto parts store to get PS fluid, and filled/bled the PS pump in the lot. Haven't had any problems since... other than the leak I refused to fix.

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Well I found out why my power steering pump refused to bleed. I pulled the return hose and Nothing was coming out. "Wow, could I have really roached the pump that bad?" Today I got time (and daylight) to pull the pump out. Upon unscrewing the main High Pressure fitting I find that I put the spring on the wrong side of the piston! :doah:

Working on my list of excuses: I must have been in a rush. The dogs were barking. My son was getting into stuff. It was getting too dark. When it sprung out it looked like it was facing the other way...

Jeez, what a dope. At least it's fixed now. And it didn't cost me any more money :D

Oh ya, it bleed in a nano second.