Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

separating 700r4 from 208, tips

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Mar 18, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i got hired to remove the engine and tranny frm the 86 K5, its got 305 700r4 and 208, what bolts do i hjave to remove from inbetween the 700r4 and 208 so i can pull engine and tranny as a unit together ?

what size bolts and where at ? what all i need to remove besides maybe front shaft ?

thanks for anything

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Should be just the 4 bolt's in the rear of the tran's to the adaptor. And maybe the shift linkage for the t-case. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

they are all 9/16" head bolts between the adapter and tcase.

can you pull the whole engine/tranny/tcase together?

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I would just drop the t-case before you do anything. It's just a matter of 6 bolts and it's so light you can just bench press it onto your chest and then set it down. I don't know how old your tranny mount is but if you leave the t-case on the truck with only those 2 bolts holding onto the crossmember you may come out one day and find it on the ground. just my .02 /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

When are you gonna drop it? I maybe could come give ya a hand and check out the parts we have been PMing about.

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

4 bolts between the adapter and the transfer case. One of them is really hard to get to.

You'll want to unhook the shift linkage, the 4wd indicator light, the breather tube, the front driveshaft, and the rear driveshaft.

If you're patient you can lay beside the transfer case on the ground and let it down slowly. With the fluid in it it weighs about 100lbs but you'll get a bath if you don't plug some holes.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

When doing tcase and tranny stuff in the vehicle, a good quality ratchet wrench comes in REAL handy.