Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sepentine belt ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NoSmog73, Jan 18, 2004.

1. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I never knew it was rocket science to change a freaking belt..lol /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    QAnyway what is involved with changing a belt on a tbi truck with the serp belt...How do you losen the tension on the belt and what not...Thanks Mike /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I never knew it was rocket science to change a freaking belt..lol

[/ QUOTE ]

It is for wankers like you........... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Now don't tell me you went and bought this truck and now you are trying to maintain it and are totally clueless on what you are doing? By the way, should I be expecting to bring home some shocks next weekend? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

There's a belt tensioner on the thing that you have to untension to change the belts. It looks like a roller wheel.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea..what bubba said..loosen the tenshion by pulling back.(ull have to find which way it goes) with a ratchet..(i think thats what they used..think thats what i used when i did one on a caprice) but anyway..do that and slip the belt of.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Maybe we should post some pics for the poor lad cause Lord knows we've confused him enough /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I never knew it was rocket science to change a freaking belt..lol

[/ QUOTE ]

It is for wankers like you........... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Now don't tell me you went and bought this truck and now you are trying to maintain it and are totally clueless on what you are doing? By the way, should I be expecting to bring home some shocks next weekend? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

There's a belt tensioner on the thing that you have to untension to change the belts. It looks like a roller wheel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha with that kind of mouth I might just leave them on the dam truck...lol
    Naw they will be there... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    And thanks..

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

use either a half inch ratchet or a 15mm wrench to loosen the tension.. or just slip a rag arond the belt, and yank it over a smooth pulley... repeat to reinstall.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Man with a serpentine belt setup you can have that belt off in less than 30 seconds. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Ummm its kinda weird to describe but basically you put whatever socket, torx, whatever (I havent had my belt off in a while so I dont remember what it is exactly) and use the longest rachet you can and just go the opposite way of the belt to relieve tension and pull it off.

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea..serp. belts are great, one of these days im ganna switch my truck over to one..

9. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Yeah they're great until you lock up an alt. or ps pump a long way from a parts store.
    I seriously thought about doing the change over once, but now I'll stick to the v-belts just in case one of my accessories lock up. I'll still be able to drive home as long as the batteries are charged.

As for belt replacement you can't beat them though. I like it on my van, just not on my beater. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif