Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

seperate air spaces for subs

Discussion in 'Audio' started by terrier72, Dec 27, 2005.

1. terrier72

terrier72 1/2 ton status

i am in the process of building a sub box and i was wondering if i needed to seperate the airspace for the subs. Or would it be ok if they just shared the same airspace.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I'm no expert , but I would assume it would make the best sound if they each had their own space with the correct volume .

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

If you will be connecting the subs mono to your amp (using only one channel for both subs), then it's ok to have them share the same airspace. If you be connecting them stereo (using two channels of the amp), then the airspace will need to be seperate.

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Werd
    If you have the room, make 2 boxes. You are more free to position them differently. 1 box saves space, and I like the sound a little better.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've alway ran seperate chanbers for each sub regaurdless of a mone block or 2 channel amp.

6. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Tru dat, You should go with 2 chambers, if one of your subs fails the other one is not affected by the airspace.. I read this somewhere..:crazy:

7. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

That is correct. With both subs sharing the same airspace, the airspace volume must be double the requirement that is needed for each speaker alone. But, if one speaker fails, you now have only one working sub using the airspace that was meant for two subs. This will likely lead to the second sub bottoming out and failing soon after the first did (unless caught quickly). Also, a divider between the two airspaces works very well as a brace to stiffen the box.

That being said, its certainly possible to share the same airspace, so long as the considerations mentioned above are taken into account. But as the others have said, its best to have seperate chambers when possible.

8. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Thanks for explaining.