Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Seperated the axle shaft from the truck plus another strange problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by spearchucker, Apr 3, 2004.

1. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

For the past few weeks I've been hearing a popping sound in the rear but didn't get a chance to look at it and figure out what it could be. Guess I should have. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif On my way home tonight I turn the corner to my street and my truck stops moving. Shift gears and give it a little gas and nothing. Then some guy knocks on my window and says something about my wheel ... hmmmm, maybe my wheel along with 2 ft of the axle shaft sticking out from my truck has something to do with it. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I guess that has something to do with the noise I've been hearing. It couldn't have waited another 300 ft until I was in my driveway to happen. But then again, I'm thankful it didn't happen on the highway or a busy street. I'm thinking that either the c-clip gave way or the shaft broke on the 12 bolt. In either case it doesn't really matter since I have a 14 BFF sitting in the yard waiting to go in.

I think I have a bigger problem though. When I went to get out of the truck initially I went to put it in park and hear a terrible grinding sound so I left it in neutral. Then when I was jacking the truck up to shove the wheel back in I noticed the driveshaft was still spinning, not slowly either. WTF /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif What else could have happened? I also tried putting the t-case in neutral but it won't budge. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Toasted 12 bolt
    NP241
    700R4
    89 Jimmy 4WD
    no lift or suspension mods

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

You will probably either have to shut it off or put it in 4WD to get it in park. In RWD with a broker rear end, there is nothing to stop the driveshaft from spinning because the brakes are no longer connected to the driveshaft.

3. spearchucker

I couldn't shift the t-case into 4 hi, it wouldn't budge. I did end up having to shut it off to get it into park. So you don't think that the damage in the rearend caused any other problems up the drivetrain?

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I concur, the broken rear end let the driveshaft spin because the brakes were no longer holding anything but the wheels. I highly doubt there's any other damage (except to the parking pawl in the tranny if you jammed it in park with the driveshaft spinning!)

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the broken rear end let the driveshaft spin because the brakes were no longer holding anything but the wheels.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I'd rethink that,,, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    the broken rear end let the driveshaft spin because the brakes were no longer holding anything but the wheels.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I'd rethink that,,, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The wheel, sorry for the pluralization /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Actually, the drum and the wheel come out with the axle, the brake hardware/shoes stay attached to the axle tube.

DOH!! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

The drive shaft was turning because the spiders were spinnin like crazy cause the other wheel was on the ground.

8. spearchucker

So it sounds like I can slap in the 14BFF/lift/new tires and call it a weekend without any other major expenses. Thanks for putting my mind at ease. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Perfect time to install the 14bff, /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I wasn't trying to be a buthead either, i was just havin some fun with it. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Good luck with the new diff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. spearchucker

Follow up question:
    My truck is sitting in front of my driveway and I need to get it into my yard to work on it, about 40ft. Would I be able to put it in 4WD and hobble it that distance? I can't shove the rear wheel all the way in so the one brake doesn't do anything, in effect giveing no brakes. It's a pretty flat run so I can stop it by pushing on it or tossing a 4x4 in front of a wheel. Or should I call a tow truck and let them deal with it. Pushing it is out of the question because of the crown in the road. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just drive it in 4wd, don't go fast, and be careful.

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Ditto, just take it real slow so you won't have to hit the brakes very hard if at all, it's already FUBAR, "Just do it"