Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

serious brake problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the excuse, Jan 15, 2004.

1. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

ok so i reinstalled my rear drums and put new calipers on my 83 blazer. the front calipers bled fine and i have gotten air free fluid to come out of them. the problem is in the rear brakes. i can not get the bleed clear. i worked them for at least an hour and big squirting bubbles still come out. what am i doing wrong? it has hydroboost.

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Might try getting one of those bleeding tools that pumps fluid into the bleeder screw. that way you're forcing the air up, which is the way it naturally goes anyways. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rick

3. the excuse

where do i get one of these tools do i hold down the brake when using it? how does it work?

4. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

You might try Autozone or Napa. Other than that, I'm not sure where to get it.

I've never used one, but from what I understand you take the cap off the master cylinder, then hook the bleeder to the bleeder screw, and start pumping brake fluid into the screw. This forces the fluid, and air up through the brake lines to the master cylinder. Sounds kind of messy, but I've heard it's the best way to bleed your brakes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rick

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can only have 'so'much air in a system. If bubbles keep coming out for an hour then air must be getting in. I'd check every joint you opened during the work and make sure they're all good.
    The other possibility is that there isn't air in there! have you tried the brake? Got a firm peddle? I bleed a lot of brakes-mainly on motorcycles as that's my job (mechanic....not bleeding brakes!!)-and I often find that although it seems as if air is still coming out it's actually coming into the bleed nipple thru the threads and then out thru your bleed tube. Could be worth checking before you buy another gallon of brake fluid! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

That is the best system you can get, it called the Phoenix. I have got one, and it works flawlessly. Here's the link www.phxsyss.com /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    You can only have 'so'much air in a system. If bubbles keep coming out for an hour then air must be getting in. I'd check every joint you opened during the work and make sure they're all good.
    The other possibility is that there isn't air in there! have you tried the brake? Got a firm peddle? I bleed a lot of brakes-mainly on motorcycles as that's my job (mechanic....not bleeding brakes!!)-and I often find that although it seems as if air is still coming out it's actually coming into the bleed nipple thru the threads and then out thru your bleed tube. Could be worth checking before you buy another gallon of brake fluid! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran into that exact situation when I did my rear disc conversion. We bled the brakes for quite a while and I just got fed up and figured I'd try the brakes before bleeding them anymore. Turns out they were as bled as it gets...so air must have been cheating in through the bleeder threads or something.

Rene

8. the excuse

ok i got a vacume that sucks the fluid out and the front brakes are perfect. the rears are full of bubbles still. im starting to think its the master cylender. im going to replace this and advice on how do do it. it is a deisel set up with hydroboost. im assuming i just take off the old blead out the new and install. bleed the brakes and im done.