Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

serious decision to make please help..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75, Mar 25, 2003.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Now some of you may know about the crazy idea I had about trying to graft on 2003 Toyota Tacoma tail lights. Well I am to the point of just gving up, I have alot of time in these and I have restarted this more than once and still failing. I dont have them working yet and thelines are sketchy still. I am almoast considering trying the new Dodge tail lights because they have a side similar to the blazer lines but that isn't an option yet. I am trying this and previous to it had no body work history but am trying to wing it.

My problem is that it is probably to late to turn around on this and my ideas are limited as to what the hell I do about the gaping holes or what lights to use and where to put them, I thought about receced trailer lights but dont know how that would look.

Here are some recent pics, please help /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yea thanks car domain for pic hosting

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Keep working at it, you'll get it.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well if ur really stuck you could always take it to a body shop...might be pricy but would probobly get you were you wanna be. i think you did a great job so far though..speacially with no experience..i couldnt have done that!! and i thought you said you were having trouble hooking them up..take it to some place that does electrical work ...you could probobly get hooked up.

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

What kind of problems are you having to get them to work? Is it wiring or what?. There is a module in some of the newer vehicles that makes that stuff work, it is not like our older stuff. I think by the photos it looks okay so far. Did you have the metal from the donor vehicle?

John

5. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Dont take this the wrong way but, what were so bad with the stock lights? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. supersize75

I didn't have the metal from the truck, I wish I did but couldn't talk the guy into letting bust out my cordless saw zaw, I did bring it with high hopes though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The main problems I am having is suporting these, I have tried a few different methods for mounting them and I can only get one tab in there to put in a screw, I am having a family friend who does body work come over today so we will see what that brings me, I also have issues with wiring because of the amber light set up that toyota uses. I am really giving this an effert but now it is slowing me down and all I have left to do is install the disk break kit and paint it, then get the gears done in the front, just bummed I guess.

I really wanted this done by the end of may and It just doesn't seem to be getting there. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I am just happy that I haven't lost my temper with it yet, so far I am staying sane, I really like the way the lights will look if I get them done, but I started these when I was just trying to make a blazer that looked and was only lifted 4 inches with 33's, my direction has changed and I want to play on the rocks now, not curbs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. supersize75

had two give me ruff quotes and would very between 600-2000 to make them look factory and work perfect, and even then he wasn't shure he would want to do it, he even said he was impressed with where I was on them and said it is a great idea, but not very easy, he also is the one who wants 1600-2000 to do it /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. supersize75

absolutly nothing, the panels were bran new gm panels and then I got the toyota lights and was thinking about it, the one day after jumping my ex g/f bronco...
    [​IMG]
    we shot the ball joints to hell and one sheered one side off so we limped it it the drive way.... then too much gas and rain and she slid right into it while hammering the skinny petal trying to force it up the drive way.

Crunched the rear of the panel and side of the truck so there the work began!

[​IMG]
    here is a pic of the door, I did add some to it because I lost my temper though /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif, what a wast of $$$ /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

If you decide to kill the Toy lights and go back stock I may have some good corners for you. I just bought an 87 K5 for parts and if I remember correctly the rear corners are in decent shape. If you need, I can cut the corners wherever you want (got to keep them small enough to UPS) and send them to you (no money).

Let me know if I can help.

10. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

11. supersize75

very interested!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

This also would be motivation to shorten the rear and bob it, oh gawd here I go again! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

12. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

How much you want for the toy lights if you get rid of them..

You need a conversion box, sold at NAPA for about 20 bucks to make the lights work right. It separates the turn signals from the blinkers. I had to do that on the trailer I pull behind my Goldwing.

John

13. supersize75

Is this the conversion box? "The black part" It seems like it would be..
    [​IMG]

I will try today and this weekend to make them work, if not I payed 60.00 for them and 35.00 would take them off my hands, will try to make them work first, I also have 2 sets a junk set for trying out and fitting and a perfect set, the junk ones are well..junk though I can get you a set if you are serious though from a friend who adds utility boxes to the trucks and removes the beds. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I'll look at the truck better this afternoon and try to take some pics so you'll see what they look like. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif