Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Serious Draglink Question!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Batmanjr, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Here is the deal! I currently am running Sky MAnufacturing steering arms with a Rockstomper Draglink made for a 6" lift and a 1104 drop pitman arm.... I have 52" springs up front and she rides like a wet dream! I have NO bumpsteer, but some balancing issues(38s with Hummer beadlocks and trimmed runflats) But here is the question... The Draglink doesn't run level with the high steering arm... It's as if the arm is too low!
    [​IMG]
    The draglink and steering arm are farely close together but I have to run them in this fasion because the 52" springs up front push the front axle forward tramendously! I even have a zero rate in there moving the axle BACK 1.5"! But the Pitman arm is rubbing on the tierod!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What I propose to fixing this problem would be to try and run the stock 2wd arm on the gear box and raising the pitman arm.... Everyone on here says that you MUST use a 1104 Drop arm for crossover! Why? Is there enough room to run a stock arm?
    [​IMG]
    THanks for any Advice and/or solutions!
    Also, The draglink ends are screwed ALL the way in and The steering wheel is still at 90* to the left! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Is it completely impossible to move the steering box forward, or move your axle backward?

If you run a different arm, isn't it going to rub under compression anyway? The way it looks to me, they're going to have to travel in a path other than a collision course if you want it to stop rubbing.

3. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I really don't think moving the steering gear box is going to work....
    I have moved the front axle back as far as she will go without messing with the camber angles too much and having to custom build zero rates! If you look at eh third picture, My theory lies in the fact that the pitman arm is at an angle and if I raise that point, the connection will go up and forward just enough to clear the tierod... The only point that it rubs is going straight and stuffing the left front tire! If I turn, the tierod moves away from that point and the pitman arm swings away as well... Does anyone use a standard pitman arm? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Bruce, it appears that if you were to use the stock pitman arm, it may hit the bottom part of the frame rail and possibly not allow it to pivot from the gear box. I'm not sure but I'm guessing at this by studying the pictures. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    I would get something like a small straight-edge about the same length as the drop pitman arm and then hold it up sideways to the arm to see if it will hit or rub on the bottom of the frame rail.

If it does rub, the only thing I can suggest to do is to get a new drag link with less angle bent into it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

BTW, where did you get the tie rod and drag link? I like how thick and beefy the tie rod is. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dont ya think its time to whip out the cutoff wheel and grinder to get rig of that factory steering stabilizer mount? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

j

6. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Man, You crack me up! I'm talking draglink and you want to discuss the factory bracket! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif In due time! I was more concerned with functional prodjects then weight gaining removal! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Wess, Check out the post in the Garage that talks about tierod length! That's how I made it! The draglink is from Rockstomper! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

There has to be a way to make this work! If I get a different draglink, the arm will still rub on the tierod.... I'm hoping to use a stock arm but I don't have one to compare with! Maybe I'll just break down and get one and throw it on to see! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Some ideas....
    1. move steering box forward...get different draglink with less bend in it. Sell old draglink to me.
    2. Get different pitman arm that doesn't drop as much, but still clears frame. This will use the extra bend in the draglink. Sell old pitman to me.
    3. Custom steering arms that move the tie rod back more. Sell the old arms to me.
    4. Maybe a forth option..i don't know.

Blake

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Man, You crack me up! I'm talking draglink and you want to discuss the factory bracket! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what 1000mg of vicoden will do fur ya! woo-hoo! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Bruce, here's a wild idea but wouldn't hurt to try: Remove the nut holding the pitman arm to the steering shaft and turn it 180 degrees so it points to the front of the truck. Check and see if there is adequate clearance from the leaf springs and also turn left to right to see if there is clearance also.

May be something to try and if you find the #1104 pitman arm may hit the springs, try the stock Ford straight pitman arm and see what that does. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Good idea! I will definately look into that when I go to the JY this weekend to find these arms! One thing though, THe output shaft on the gear box has three large splines as to make it so the pitman arm can point in three different locations! 120* out from each!..... But it is definatly a good idea to look further into! About the take it all off and sell it..... Not in my lifetime! I will die before this truck gets disassembled!!!!! I've spent a year and a half putting it together and now I've just got to work the kinks out of it! Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming and I'll let you all know how it goes this weekend! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif