Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Serious head scratching*********PLEASE RESPOND

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmyjack, Aug 11, 2002.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

OK, as some of you know I wasted a LockRight locker. Unfortunately the place I got it from (5 mos. ago) hasn't got the cajones to warranty it they sent it back to Powertrax to be inspected. I have to drive this blazer tomorrow cos my big bro needs his wheels back. I pulled the spider set out of the front of another blazer I have. Put them in, zipped up the cover filled it with oil. This is the head scratching part...... I can turn the axle shafts but the driveshaft won't turn, when I put the blazer in drive everything works normally. I put the tranny in park..... the axles turn but the shaft doesn't. What the hell is going on!!!!!!! Are the front spiders different? Help me please. This is tooo weird.

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i am scratching my head the same...
    but if it gets you round then just lock in the front to use park...
    or tear it appart again and see if you forgot something...
    i dunno.
    grant /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

3. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

That is how an open axle operates. BTW, with the lock right, did you make sure you didnt have too much space inside the carrier before you installed it? There is supposed to be a maximum carrier clearance between the side gears of the locker and the carrier housing, if its too big then the teeth can jump over each other when they arent supposed to and cause the damage that occurred.

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I think the tolerance is .045 off the top of my smoking head. And it was well within the clearance. I drove it around for about an hour and nothing broke or sounded funny. I parked in on a sloped driveway and it didn't roll back. I dunno, maybe it sposed to be that way. It's been sooooo long since I owned an open rear diff I forget.

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Sounds like an open differential to me.

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

But why would the axles turn while the tranny is in park? Are they supposed to do that? I really seriously don't remember!! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

7. Pure Insanity

They will turn, but they are turning in opposite directions arent they? Basicly whats happening is the rear cant turn against itself. Hold one tire and the other wont turn w/ the tranny in park. Pop it into neutral and the tire will turn while holding the other.

W/ a Posi locker or spool, the axles turn the same direction when one tire is spun because the axles are locked together as one.

8. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Yeh, I guess it sounds right. I just, I dunno....... maybe if I delete all these posts noone will laff at me later /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

9. Pure Insanity

No need to delete. I am sure noone is *hmmpffft* laughing *hehe* at you. BUWAHAHAHAHA! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

No seriously I am just joking around. This is something that I am sure someone has questioned in the past, and will again.

As they say the only dumb question is the one not asked. Ive got one up myself right now I am sure some people will think Im nuts, but I want some opinions. So we can laff at eachother. Hows that sound. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I prefer people talking(laffing) about me behind my back..... that way I don't hafta worry about it!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

This is a 10-bolt diff, right? Some 10-bolts had 28 spline axles, while others had 30 spline axles. It sounds like you installed side gears with 30 splines, but the axle shafts only have 28 splines. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Yank the axle shafts from the same truck that donated the side gears, slip them into your housing, and you should be ready to go. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

12. HarryH3

Ooops! Just noticed that you pulled the side gears from the FRONT of your other truck. Obviously, the axles from that aren't going to work in your rear diff. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Do you still have the original side gears from the rear diff?

13. Pure Insanity

I look at it this way....If theyre talking about me theyre giving someone else a rest. LOL!

14. Pure Insanity

Thats a very good idea. But wouldnt he have already twisted the splines out already? He has driven it. Is it close enough to have survived? I have never compared the 2 before.

15. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

The splines are both 28 spline. I was told a 10 bolt carrier is a 10 bolt carrier is a 10........ Ya know? Everything fits together, just didn't seem right. Everything is roolling like its sposta

16. Pure Insanity

There actually is a difference in spline count after a certain yr. Im thinking 89. Then it goes to 30 spline.

17. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

now that i think of it, yes that is an open diff. only one will turn while the trans is in park. both will not turn the same way.
    grant /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

18. HarryH3

The truck won't move with 28 spline axles and 30 spline side gears. The shafts spin inside the side gears. I didn't see that he had driven the truck, just that the tires were spinning when he thought they shouldn't while the truck was jacked up. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

19. Pure Insanity

Thats what I figured it would do. Like I said I have never compared them so I wasnt sure.

20. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I didnt know gm used reverse rotation frontends. i thought they were normal rotation and if you had dual open 10 bolts you had all matching spider gears ( stock truck with same spline count axles ).