Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Serious note: Zoloft, anyone?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Sep 4, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was just put on a prescription of Zoloft. Starting at 25mg for a week then 50mg for a month. Anyone else take this and whats your dosage? My mom took it but her dosage was 10mg the WHOLE time she took it. Doctor said my way is standard. PM me if you want to share but rather not in open forum.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

What are you taking it for, I dunno how anybody functions "Normally" anymore with the way the world works today... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

depression and I don't know about others but I haven't been functioning normally for a while now. they think I may be bipolar but since depression is more common gonna treat that and see what happens.

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I think we're all a bit off at times, I know I am, life can be a real pain in the arse sometimes, the world is getting to be a pretty complicated and crowded place, it's what drives me to drink... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Fumes just self-medicates, you get your drugs from the Doc. I don't know about Zoloft, but I hear that Paxil and Xanax basically feels like your high all day. I have a scrip for Xanax but I never filled it, I've heard it's habit forming and that's all I need. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif </font>

6. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i'd be carefull about doctors opinons. they, like everyone else is hurtn for money these days. they'll try and diagnose you with anything aslong as you come back regularly.

someone close to me was diagnosed with depression. After a one time 15min doctors office visit /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif. kinda made me wonder how the doc came up with that conclusion so i called'em up and asked specificly how he came about that conclusion in that little time. he said he was not allowed to disclose that information. I told him that he didn't have any to disclose.

FKn docs you gotta question what the do to you or they'll check your prostate.

ARQ.

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    Fumes just self-medicates

[/ QUOTE ] yep and it keeps me from going postal....If I didn't have some drinks at the end of the day I would just dwell on every little crappy thing and wouldn't get any sleep and soon I would become paranoid and then I would start having audible hallucinations and then they would try to take my guns away, and we can't have that can we.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I took Paxil for a little while. I had some rough sh*t going on and I needed a little help to cope. A few weeks after I started taking it, I felt ok. I finally felt like things were on and even keel for a change and that I could handle things. My doc is pretty good. He knows I don't come around unless I REALLY have a problem. We talked for more than an hour before he decided to prescribe anything. I only had to take the stuff for 6 mos. It usually takes at least 4-6 weeks for the full effect. Then you have to take yourself off gradually. If you don't and you do it cold turkey, you'll crash and it'll be HARD! I found that out the hard way /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif It cost me another 3 mos. on the stuff! lol!! Things are cool now, but at that time, I was going nuts, and my wife laid it on the line. It was either go find out what was wrong, or go find a new place to live. For some odd reason, I love my wife and kids, so I figured I had better see what's up.

Take your meds. Keep yourself sane. Also, different people require different levels of dosage. Some people need a little more than others. Remember, there are other meds out there, and you can work with your doc to make sure what your on is the right stuff for you. If he won't listen, then you need to find another doc NOW!

Things are cool for me now. I am in the same camp as 'fumes. I "self-medicate" as necessary!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Hey Fumes is it time for our medicine yet?!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey Fumes is it time for our medicine yet?!!

[/ QUOTE ] 1hr. 50 minutes remaining.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifBut then again it's 5:00 somewhere in the world.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Back in the 70's we took drugs to excape the normal world.
    Now everyone is taking them to be normal /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    they think I may be bipolar

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Not even going to comment on that /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I would be very careful and read information in the potential side effects. Doctors had my wife on Celebrex (anti-inflamatory) and she had a severe reaction to it that put her in the ER. ER doctor said more people die every year from side effects of these new designer pills than AIDS /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Looking at different websites, looks like the pill comes in 25,50 and 100Mg tablets. Maybe do a search on Zoloft websites or depression chat rooms, you may find more information there.

Sounds to me you just need to do more wheeling /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Good Luck

11. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I still stick to the "every 4 to 6 hour as necessary" rule! If it's noon, it's legal! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hey Fumes is it time for our medicine yet?!!

[/ QUOTE ] 1hr. 50 minutes remaining.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifBut then again it's 5:00 somewhere in the world.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'll drink to that, self medication is the only way to go...

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

56 mins. left
    The nudge for breakfast and the beer that followed and the beer I just had with dinner don't count ....Do they???? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifAhh screw it, I'm havin' a drink..... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

I have self controll, I am goin to wait it out 45 min. left /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

15. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Well whatever you end up doing, try to have a good laugh everyday, it helps me stay possitive and thats a pretty important part of everyones mental health...If nothing else laugh at yourself, I crack myself up every day, but than again, I'm easily amussed.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Paxil and Xanax basically feels like your high all day

[/ QUOTE ]
    Xanax is some strong stuff ...my mother was put on it when her mother died for a bit and she was pretty zoned. Its one of those "hard to get docs to write" medications as its highly addicting. Paxil on the other hand is pretty lite especially compared to xanax. It was originally made for people who have social anxiety disorders (like not able to leave the house) I was given it for just stress in general for a bit and I could hardly feel the Paxil unless I had a lot of anxiety and it just kind of tones the anxiety down some. There were times where I wish it would make me high with the stress I was going through. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I was given Zoloft before the paxil and it did nothing for me but every body's body handles medications differently. I take triple the normal amount of Elmiron for my bladder/kidney disease and I know people who can not take one without their hair falling out and vomiting their head off. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

they claim Zoloft is non habit forming, and I've been this way since as long as I can remember, just once and a while I lose it and can't handle anything anymore. its not just money or whatever, everything in my life just gets me down, I know its not cool or anything but I haven't made it a day in the past month and a half without crying at least once. Until this past summer I pretty much hadn't cried since I was 12. I don't plan on going back for therapy its not something I'm interested in. The doctor knows that, and we have an extensive family history of depression so whatever.

18. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would be very careful and read information in the potential side effects. Doctors had my wife on Celebrex (anti-inflamatory) and she had a severe reaction to it that put her in the ER. ER doctor said more people die every year from side effects of these new designer pills than AIDS /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wholy Crap /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Although... look at the number of people on anti-depressants compared to the number of people with AIDS... but still... that's quite disturbing...

I don't like drugs... the only pill I take is vitamin B 12, that stuff is the bomb /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Oh, and I agree that doctors are quite nutty... I went to the ER in March after I hurt my ankle... sat around for a while... someone peeked in and said hi, the doctor will be here soon... should've screamed /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Eventually the doctor came in, took a look at it, sent me for X-rays where the cute lady had me twist my foot in ways that would've been painful without an injury /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif... then wrapped me up and said I'd be back to normal in a few weeks...

Was on crutches for a week and a half, limped around for a month, and now I have a brace that I wear on it that helps some, but I can't run for [I love Jeeps] now... still better than before I bought the brace I guess, when I couldn't run at all /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    everything in my life just gets me down, I know its not cool or anything but I haven't made it a day in the past month and a half without crying at least once.

[/ QUOTE ] Nothing wrong with crying... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifKeep a positive attitude, keep yourself around friends even if it's on here and get yourself some good happy drugs, everythings gonna work out... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif