Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Serious question, seriously it is.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GotLabs, Aug 29, 2006.

1. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Alright, anyone here know of anyone that has had a kidney transplant? Or been a donor for said transplant?
    How long after the donor was found did it take to get the surgery complete?
    How long have they been functioning on one kidney?
    Normal activities?
    Recovery time after surgery?
    Age at transplant?

Please keep your hijacking elsewhere, thanks.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

r u going to give up a kidney?! Ive had one blocked before (big stones)... and living on one kidney sucks, I can tell you that much. Prepare to be terminally tired.

j

3. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

My brother in laws best friend was diagnosed with some kidney disease when he was 15. When he found out they found a kidney he was 20. He got the transplant 2 days later but the docs told him that there was only a 60 percent chance it would work. He was good at first, recovered pretty quick but it ended up not working. They found yet another kidney for him..... he asked about the other people in line the new kidney would be good for. There was only one other person and he said to give it to that guy. It was 9 months before Kenny died but there was a friendship started. The guy he pretty much saved because of his generousity became a very good friend that last few months. There were over 1000 people at Kennies funeral. Maybe not the answer you wanted but I answered the questions from my experience. Wish you and/or family-friends the best.

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

A lady that has been a tenant at the apartment building I manage had a kidney transplant done just over a year ago. She had some serious infection after the operation, and nearly died, but has since recovered, and seems to live a pretty normal life, less watching her diet very closely.

5. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

wow, that took some courage. Kenny is now my hero.

6. GotLabs

Thanks for the responses, Ive been beating this around in my head for a few weeks now, and have decided to get tested to see if we are compatible.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

who is compatible? This is one of those things that if you bring it up, ya might as well give us some details. :)

j

8. GotLabs

A friend of the wife and I. Young with kids, and only has 10-15% function of both kidneys. She has dialysis twice a week.

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I don't envy your position. It is a very tough and personal choice. Last year about this time one of my wife's cousins needed a kidney. She is a young wife and mother. So on one hand you have someone who will die, on the other it is my wife going in for a major surgery. We have two daughters that would be lost w/o their mother. We talked about it quite a bit and she decided to get tested. She was a match, as well as one other person. As things progressed, my wife was ruled out due to a medical condition. My wife and the other match (another cousin) are very close so they talked a lot as well.

The other cousin decided to do it after a lot of thinking. She also has two kids, but is not married, so she was also struggling with some big issues.

Both surgeries went well. The doctor said the kidney looked very health. The receiver came right through. The donner ended up with some blood clot issues and had to take a drug some of the old men at work take. She was not allowed to drink while taking it- that lasted for a couple months! Not the end of the world, but something to know about. She said she didn't know about that being a possibility, so I thought I'd mention it. The truth is, even if it was mentioned, that would have been near the bottom of the concern list.

A year later and they are both doing good and leading normal lives. We are all in our mid 30's (I know age makes a difference in this deal). Tonight I will ask my wife if she wants to share anything else. Feel free to PM me.

Good luck with your decision.

10. GotLabs

Thanks, will do on the pm.

11. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

my friend TOM had a transplant over 5 years ago and is fine,even being diabetic.not sure about the donor though.and a guy i work with TOM (no kidding), just got a kidney this spring. his wife was the donor!! how cool is that.:D she went home 3 days after him and so far they are doing great other than TOM being on anti rejection meds and hormones.