Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Serious Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fordfmly, Oct 28, 2000.

1. fordfmly

fordfmly Newbie

Was wondering how difficult and expensive would it be to put a 350 in an 84 K5 that has a 305 in it right now? i.e do I need different differentials, tranny, exhaust, etc. I basicly need a run down on all stuff needed to make the change. Thanks Erik K5ven Ford.

2. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Ford family?On a K5 sight? j.k. The swap should be straight forward... mechanically. The 305/350 arethe same size externally, and should bolt right up. as for tranny,axle or other parts, they should hold up just fine. Unless the 350 is seriously pumped. The real fun comes with smog. Check with your local smog referee on what possible changes may or may not be required. The smog parts/ restrictions may be different between the two. Hope this helps, and good luck!

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Its a straight across swap. Its essentially the same block. I used the same distributor, brackets, carberator, exhaust manifolds, starter,..... blah blah blah. Good luck.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

4. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I just did one. If you have a quadrajunk you will have to recalibrate. It pays to replace all the small things while you have the engine out, ie waterpump, fuel pump etc. I replaced with a 350HO so i needed to get a ext balanced flexplate, and new exhaust mainflolds. I horse on mine quite a bit with no stock parts breakage.....yet

5. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

350's are interally balanced.....right??? 400's are the only production externally balanced chev small block? like the 454 is externally balanced, but all the other big blocks are internally balanced....right guys???.....js

6. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

Echoing others, the swap is straight up. If your wallet can afford it, might consider a 383 over a 350. Same block with lots of torque....down low in the power band.

7. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

yes 350's are internally balanced unless you have them externally balanced by someone..I.E. in a replacement engine that a company fixed and is reselling..

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

8. FWP

FWP CRS

I still don't get the internally, externally balanced thing, even though many have tried. I must be dense in that area.

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

9. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Let me try, externally balanced motors have weights added to the flywheel and harmonic balancer, to compensate for the crankshaft being out of balance (the counter weights on the crank shaft are not big enough to compensate for the weight of the piston, rod and longer stroke [383, 400sb, 454bb). Internally balanced motors the counter weights are big enough to balance out the weight of the piston, rod and stroke, so weights on the flywheel and harmonic balancer are not necessary (all other small and big blocks).

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com