Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

serious thread - no laughing allowed.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 68MUDSTUD, Nov 16, 2006.

1. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

ok guys, ive been thinkin about this for a loooong time now and i just have come up with no conclusion, probly for the best i guess...heres the deal:

My neck's been giving me hell every day, and i cant imagine what its going to be like when im 40, least 25... I know it sure as hell wasnt worth the 100 grand they gave me for it... but by the time im 25, i want to have a shop, that will be my house at the same time. its going to be 2 level, the top floor will be expanded steel, ill have a bed, microwave, and fridge up there, ill have a freezer outside in an add-on type of deal, and a bigass homemade BBQ outside. just to give you an idea of how big it will be, i want it to have 3 double garage doors on each side, front and back. BUT

the hold up is, that i want to stay in my dominating section of MT. (southeastern) AND that being said, in southeastern MT, there is no real money jobs unless i live in a big city. So there goes my plans of that bigass shop, so ill probably have to settle for something a LOT smaller. but thats ok. (i guess)

so there ill be, in a double car garage, trying to do bodywork, and paint, and engine work, all in one garage.

i know what some of you are going to say... just work your way to the top... I CANT.

reason: I TRULY believe that my body isnt going to last to be 40, much less 50. so i dont have time to have that much fun in my life. if you knew me better and in real life, you would know that i love having fun, and i try to live my life to its fullest, but it seems my neck is going to win in the end. i guess i dont expect anyone to reply to this, but just needed to get it out.

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

3. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I'm going thru the same thing right now man - the kind of work I do couldn't be done anywhere but a city of 50k+ and pay as good as it does. You need to do 1 of 3 things. Live close enough to a big city to where you can commute, start a home business that brings in good money, or live in teh city for long enough to make yourself wealthy, then move where you want.

I chose route 2 and am almost to the point I'm not dependant on a job to pay my bills. Patience is a virtue. I'm 27 and you've seen where I live..... you have no idea how bad I dream for 40 acres, a 3,000sqft house and a 40x70 shop.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

start taking it a little easier on yourself. i'll be 26 in a couple weeks, and about 4 years ago, i had to slow down a bit.

5. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

wow, your an a$$hole pip:D

6. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

I knew someone had to do it!! :bow:

'68, what is wrong with your neck that will end you life earlier than usual?

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Hmmm I hear ya dood, all I can suggest is to try and be as possitive as you can every day. And when that doesn't work there's always whiskey...:crazy:

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

who? me?:D

9. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

he broke his neck in a car accident... all pinned up now

10. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

:haha: :haha: :haha:

11. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

:ignore: :ignore: :tongue1: I'm not going to say what I want to, even though it's a joke.

and on that note....I know I'm not going to say it :crazy:

12. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

If I can offer any advice to you to help expediate the process for you, it would be this: Avoid debt like the plague. Run away from CC offers and promises of "Take it home now, pay later!"

If you can't pay cash for it now, you don't need it. Trust me on this... The only debt people should even be allowed to take is a home loan and maybe a car loan.... everything else is dangerous, and will weigh you down. I'm digging out from underneath a mound of it (bout halfway there) and will never do it again. I hope my advice can help you.

13. 68MUDSTUD

hey thanks Mike. i currently have no debts at all, the way you see it is exactly the way i see it. If i cant pay cash for it, then im not going to get it. even with a new vehicle, because im never going to have one. my life is dedicated to the baddest of bad 67-72s.

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

for someone with no established credit, that's a hideous idea. having credit cards is a good thing. a) if you're ever in a jam, they can easily get you out, and b) having one in good standing with a running balance gives you a higher credit score. its important to keep it in check though.

15. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Im with beater a credid card is a great thing when used correctly. Only loan I have is my college loan right now, I owe money on my 71, but my grandma is taking it in payments of 1000 a year.

Up until two years ago I had no credit at all, Every time I would get a credit card id shred it without even looking at it. I finally decided I wanted one(so I could buy a ck5 member ship no less) So i had my parents help me find a good offer. I started out with a $200 credit limit couple years later im already up to 5600.

I say get a credit card, and reserve it for when you buy larger items such as recently I bought a Hobart Wire Welder. It was 600 bucks on my credit card...but I make damn certain I have money in my savings account so when my monthly bill comes I just transfer money to checking, and pay it in one shot. I can honestly say I have only had one late fee. That due in part to the bill sent to my parents house and I didnt get home for about a month so by the time I got it mailed it only had 2 days to make it to them.

Mudstud Id say get a credit card, use it carefully. As far as your shop, sounds like a great idea(i to want to live in shop like that someday) but maybe wait on it a couple years. I know I had big plans when I was in college, but they changed quickly upon graduation. If your body is telling you to slow down you should. I never thought at 22 id be feeling aches and pains already but I am. Take care of your body and it will take care of you man

16. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

On your choice not to move, that seems to be a limiting factor. I'm originally form SW MT, and if I could, I would go back there in a heartbeat. I've lived in Seattle, Pismo, So Cal, and now in Oklahoma. If I hadn't moved to Oklahoma, I wouldn't have the home, career, family, well the life I have now that I love. Do not limit yourself. All of my sisters (4) save one left MT at one point in their lives to better themselves financially or career wise. All but the sister that passed away are now firmly planted back there. I can only hope in a few years I am able to do the same.

John

Oh yeah,:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

17. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I disagree. First of all, you have to spend money to make money. By your thinking, a guy should never buy a rental property or invest in a business without having the cash up front. You, as a businessman, know that operating on lines of credit from time to time is a reality.

Life is too short to go without a few toys, too. I hate to sound like an old guy, but you'll figure that out in the next ten years, Mike. Especially when you start to understand how important it is to enjoy life while you've got it. One of the things that altered my way of thinking about money and debt was when a co-worker died last spring. He was a lot like me- he worked his ass off, put in a lot of overtime, and put every extra penny he had into his retirement fund or onto his mortgage. Well, with 3 years left on his mortgage, and with the light at the end of the tunnel in sight, he died suddenly one evening. All he ever talked about was buying a Harley Davidson after he payed off the house. Guess what- it never happened.......:frown1:

Just so we're clear, I'm a huge proponent of living within your means. I encourage everyone who asks how I'm doing so well financially at my age to take a close look at their budgets and expenditures and come up with a plan that sees them eliminating "bad" debt as well as putting extra payments on "good" debt. We're on the same page there, brother. But make sure you don't die without every having "lived"- do you know what I mean? If "living" means financing a few things that make your free time enjoyable, then do it. Because when it comes down to it, your free time and "lifestyle" moments are what it's all about.

Just my humble opinion.

Sorry for the hijack, mudstud.

18. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I dont see any hijack, all valid thoughts I think Mike made his credit good by focking it up to begin with...:haha: I know I got in good and it took me forever to dig out, now if we could all be so consientious with our loans the CC/ loan sharks would be outta business...:wink1:

19. 68MUDSTUD

X2 and by the way, you guys can call me Casey.

20. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input and sorry for the hijack :D

CanCan, you're right..... there is some good debt, but there's a lot of bad stuff too. I'm just in a serious get-out-of-debt mode right now. I'm not struggling, i've never so much as been a day late, let alone missed a payment on anything i've taken debt on, credit score is in the mid 700s, etc, but I've learned that impulse buying on credit is bad news. We're young, and wanted it all, and wanted it now. The wife is in school, income was tight, but we bought a house (good) but then when things went tight from going from $450/mo rent to almost $900 in mortgage, and we went gung-ho for christmas 1 year on a CC, and I just HAD to rebuild the suspension & steering & put a HAD front shaft on my chevy THAT year, and then the tranny in Dawn's truck blew and had a $1500 repair bill, and then we put new windows in the house, etc.... Now we're making almost twice as much $ as we were 2 years ago and paying off all those impulse things. A good lesson has been learned, and all I'm out is a bunch of interest $.

Let me rephrase my previous, more emotional statement to "life well within your means... dont impulse purchase and make wise decisions. Keep 1 CC for things like emergency tranny rebuilds, but don't buy your wife a $400 kitchen mixer for christmas, or a bunch of truck parts on plastic when you don't have the cash to back it."