Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Serious troubles with the tires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JORGE, Apr 16, 2003.

1. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    Hi, /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    Yesterday i went to install my 33x12.50 r15 tires in the new 15x10 wheels than i have bought.
    It has been IMPOSSIBLE to mount this Tyres in this Wheels.The tires have been mounted in the 6" stock rims a lot of time and have the sides deformed or i don,t know what is the trouble /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.Is impossible to inflate them.
    The work shop guy says this wheel is not for this tyre.We have been looking the tables and the 33s are corrects for the 10" rims.
    And i,ve sayd him,i know a lot of people wich have this combination,and it is very usual in the US Trucks.
    I,m afraid to order a new set of tyres,i don,t know if i,m going to have the same trouble.
    A lot of you have mounted 33s on 10" wheels without trouble,Is correct?
    Thanks a lot.

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Mounting those tires on 15x10 wheels shouldnt be a problem. I have a set of 33x12.5-15 on 15x10 wheels no troubles.

To make your tires fit, you may want to try a ratchet strap around the tire to push out the sides towards the rim. The tension on the strap with force the sidewalls out normally.

John

3. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I also second.
    To make your tires fit, you may want to try a ratchet strap around the tire to push out the sides towards the rim. The tension on the strap with force the sidewalls out normally.
    Another thing is to let the tires sit in the sun and get hot makes them a little more plyable.

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Put the tire on the wheel. Remove valve stem core. Spray window cleaner around the beads. Stick the air chuck (preferably the kind that holds itself on there) on the valve stem. Move the tire around and push down on it to try to get the bead to seal against the wheel. If you're skinny you might have to sit on the tire. If you keep working the tire and using window cleaner it should slip right on.

Another option is to use a ratchet strap around the circumference. The only problem with this is you can have a hard time getting it back off even when you completely deflate the tire.

I have two sets of 33s on 15x10s. Piece of cake to get them mounted this way. I have successfully put 33x12.50s on 12" wide wheels before for another kid using this method (ended up using ratchet straps on two of the tires). It wasn't easy and the tires sure did look retarded with those wide rims when all said and done.

5. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

Might try a bead blaster that the big rig tire guys use.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Ether and a box of matches.../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

7. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ether and a box of matches

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm more a fan of those long automatic lighter deals ("eyebrow preservers") myself...

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You use the match to light a flame from the ether can...then use your new flamethrower to ignite the fumes inside the tire from about 8-10 feet away. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

9. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

When you say a "Ratchet" do you refer to the thing wich is used for tense the bands wich holds the loads in the lorrys for example?(Sorry i not be able to translate some words)Here we call it "Tractel"
    If it is the same thing ,yes they have tryed it in the work shop and it has been impossible.They also have a tool wich introduces all the air from the compressor tank in a hit,making the side walls push out.Neither.
    The work shop guy has said to me for make the last intent:He says to put a lorry inner tube in the tires and inflate it,making to the sidewalls to push out a lot.And keep the tires so a few days.
    They say that is the firs time in 30 years,than they aren,t ables to inflate a tyre. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    That is incredible....

10. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Jorge, yes, that's what we call a ratcheting cargo strap. The ratchet part is the latching or click-click part where it tightens, if that makes sense.

Sounds like your tire guys are doing the right thing; you have some wild rubber in those tires, or something /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-- A

11. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Hi Dremu,
    It,s a bother,cause these tires are still in good shape,and here are very expensive.When i bought the truck it cames with these 33s mounted on the stock 6" rims and with the time they have given the 6" form.I don,t know what kind of beast was able to put this tires in these rims.
    Now i have to go ,with the stock rims and the stock 235/75 tires.The truck looks like a Vespa motorcycle. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Not sure what the weather is like in Spain right now but if it is warm you can put something inside the tire to stretch it out, like the innertube, then put the tire out in the sun for awhile. The heat will help soften the tire enough to get the tire to take the new shape so the beads will seat. </font>

13. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Hi Shaggy,
    The sun is not enough strong right now in the north of Spain.Maybe with a hair heater,but i dont know...
    The tires are in the work shop,i don,t know if they have tryed the inner tube test.These Days are Semana Santa ,and holidays here in Spain,if they have made the inner tube intent,the tires will be in this way until the thursday.
    I,m doubt if this method will be effective,but all is trying it

14. neverdone

neverdone Registered Member

Many,many years ago, I worked in a service station that had a solution for problems like this. It was a round tube that you wrapped around the tire, tightend it up, then put air pressure to it. It never failed to spread the beads enough to get the the tire to seat on the rim. Plenty of lube allways helped. I don't know if these are still available or not this was back in the early seventies. Hope this helps.

15. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

These Days are Semana Santa ,and holidays here in Spain,if they have made the inner tube intent,the tires will be in this way until the thursday.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ah yes the magic of Spanish holidays! I lived in Cadiz for 3 years and had an absolutley horrible time trying to get major tasks accomplished. I would leave the tyres out in the sun for a good while and so they are warm and soft and then try to mount them on those wheels, oh and use plenty of lube on the wheel. I'd imagine that would seat the beads.

16. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Hi,
    The inner tube tensed for prevent the air escapes,is the first thing we made.This is effective when you have a little clearance between the side walls and the wheel border,but these have a lot.
    I also was thinking to build myself some kind of little hooks for puhed out the sides while i,m inflating.
    But if in the work shop don,t be ables to make to fit the tires,i don,t know if i,ll be.

17. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

You shouldnt have a problem with that combo. At work if the tire is having trouble gettin inflated we take it back off and put some blocks of wood in the tire to spread the bead apart. After a few minutes the tire is ready to go back on. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    When you say a "Ratchet" do you refer to the thing wich is used for tense the bands wich holds the loads in the lorrys for example?(Sorry i not be able to translate some words)Here we call it "Tractel"
    If it is the same thing ,yes they have tryed it in the work shop and it has been impossible.They also have a tool wich introduces all the air from the compressor tank in a hit,making the side walls push out.Neither.
    The work shop guy has said to me for make the last intent:He says to put a lorry inner tube in the tires and inflate it,making to the sidewalls to push out a lot.And keep the tires so a few days.
    They say that is the firs time in 30 years,than they aren,t ables to inflate a tyre. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    That is incredible....

[/ QUOTE ]
    You can take a peice of rope wrap it around the center of the tread and leave some slack and tie it. Take a stick and start twisting the rope. This will push the side walls out the same way as a ratchet strap.
    33x12.5 is recomended to be mounted on a 10 inch rim. It will fit fine. I run 35x12.5's on 10 inch rims.

19. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifyeah maybe if you set the tires on their sides and stood inside it and pulled on the top bead while standing on the bottom one and then once you have them pulled apart you could put some pieces of wood in them to make them stay out and leave them that way for a few days maybe they'll stay that way.

20. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Hello friends,
    Thanks for all your suggests.My trouble is i still haven,t instaled the electric current in my garage,and i can,t to use an air- compressor.Then i had to take the "Work" to the tires work shop.
    Reading your replys,i can,t understand why is so complex for them to make fit the tires in the wheels.They say that it will be almost impossible. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    For your suggerences the thing not appears so hard.I still haven,t can to intent nothing cause the tires are not in my garage,but if they aren,t be ables to make fit these rubbers, i,ll try all the possible to make it myself.
    It would be a joke,to have to buy a new set of tires when these are over the 70%. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif