Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Seriously considering "Cab Truck"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yeild2me, Jan 6, 2003.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Seriously considering \"Cab Truck\"

I really dont want to cut anymore sheetmetal, but at the same time need alot of sheetmetal out of the way. After sitting in school today and thinking about it.....I am going to look in to putting an S-10 extended cab on my blazer frame and build a flat bed for it. I think right now it would suit my needs better.

How would I license it??

Like I said...just some ideas I am pondering.

Rob

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: Seriously considering \"Cab Truck\"

Why a S-10 body ??? I'd go with something outragous like a 30's, 40's, or 50's truck cab and front clip. Love to see some fat-fenders that'd been trimed as long as it looks right.

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Rob, wouldn't get too hung up on it being an S-10. Check out other cabs for space, comfort, flat floors, ect. I think an extended cab would be a must, reg cab mini-trucks are just too cramped.
    If I were going to do it I would look into an '80s Toy 4Runner. The top comes off and there is a back seat w/ a stock roll bar for the kids, stock. I don't know which frame would be better to use. With full width axles you would be nice & narrow.

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

good call bud. put an extended Nissan or Toyota cab on it. those things are a dime a dozen around here Rob.

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i think an extended cab is a must. I too am looking for this swap in my future. If the ORD Jimmy must be trimmed to keep up with the times, my POS is going to need it sooner or later.

6. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

As for titling the vehicle, go with the 'oldest' title you have, make sure to get that VIN number on the frame etc that way you don't have to mess with emmissions.

ALL OF NC will be going to the higher level of testing in the next few years (I forget the rollout timing but it is coming...) so you will want a title showing something that has the V8, preferably old enough to be exempt from emmissions testing (like my 72 Jimmy)

Sam

7. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the inputs....licensing is what I am worried about the most. My 1989 K5 has ALL emmissions stuff and could pass smog (i used to have to to it all the time im Las Vegus), so throughout all the mods, I have kept it legal.

So, Lets say I sold my K5 tub, and replaced it with an ext. cab truck....what would I license it as ?? who would get what titles???

Rob

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

sell the tub w/o the VIN's. contact a SMOG referee and let him.her know what you plan to do (say that the truck is rusting out and the body is bashed and it is not safe anymore. As soon as you mention safety, you seem to get a better response from EVERYONE). I think in CA, they but a referee sticker on the frame and that is how they tell that this vehcile has to pass *these* requirements. I'd give your DMV a call and see how it is done in your state.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Some dishonest people used to take early 70's trucks, and stick late 80's early 90's pick up body's on them and sell them as whatever year the cab was. They would get the titles with the cabs. That was happening in Omaha, Ne. about 7 or 8 years ago.

10. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i think most states go by what vin is on the cab of the truck.here in pa thats what they look at when having to register the truck in the state and redo the title for pa

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

There are a couple of guys in our club that are running S-10 Blazer bodies on fullsize chassis. The nice thing about the S-10 Blazer is that you can keep a back seat (if you need it) and secure inside storage....though one guy is kicking around the idea of making a part of full covertible out of one. I can check and see how they have them titled, but my guess is that they title them based on the body though you might want to also consider lift laws (fullsize trucks are usually allowed more lift) though they have never had any trouble around here.