Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

serp belt swap info from vbelt setup

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sweetk30, Sep 7, 2006.

1. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

today i ttook my 79 350 and removed all the front drive brackets and pulleys and h20 pump. i then cleaned the front face of the block and heads to remove grease and dirt.

installed h20 pump from doner 89 burban 350. then installed pass side bracket setup. found only 1 bolt hole not drilled and taped in head. but this should not be a problem as there were 5 and 2 brace rods. so now there is 4 and 2 rods.

i then installed a a/c delete bracket and pulley. this side also needed a small twek of the fuel line.

next was the drivers side bracket install. all bolt holes lined up good. installed them and secured the altenator to the bracket. next i need to get a change over plug for the old style to the new style plug.

next was the p/s pump. i was not sure if this was going to clear as it is a 3 hose hydroboost pump and older resivor. but against all odds. she bolted up perfectly. then i installed the serp belt pulley on the pump.

next was the h20 pump pulley . last was the main belt. then i changed the thermostat as i needed to change the water neck out for a stright one so it would clear the hose to brace rod for the pass side mount bracket.

all i can say is you need to do this. its easy and wow is it clean and simple to work on now for a belt change. those multi bolt to adjust v pulley brackets sucked at times.

took me about 3 hrs to do. if you use the stock hardware to block studs . you will need the inverted torqs bit sockets to remove them and install them easy.

just go to the junk yard and look for 88-91 blazer/burban/crewcab for the parts. or a 88-up new body style will work also.

2. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

did you put a reverse fan on as well as a reverse rotation fan clutch?

3. JUNIOR-K5

JUNIOR-K5 1/2 ton status

Like stated above I did the same swap and forgot to change fans and had overheating problems. Till I finally figured out the fan was reverse rotation.

4. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

I heard you can also get the pulleys from S series trucks, but they have to be 4.3 motors.

5. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

That is correct. The brackets and pulleys are the same on the V6.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

no front clip on truck yet. so no fan yet. just 4 bolts to hold pulley on for now.

baby steps . baby steps.

7. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

sweet, i may have to do this since i already have electric fans...