Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Serpentine belt accesories on a 56-86 block?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris Demartini, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Will serpentine accesory brackets bolt to a 56-86 350? My power steering pump is shot and I think my alternator just died too, so I am looking to convert to serpentine while I replace these parts (I'm aware I need the water pump too). Has anyone done this with junkyard parts?

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

I think the serpentine parts will bolt up to the older blocks, but you have to have heads that have the accessory holes in the front for the brackets to bolt to. the TBI engines have the brackets you need, also 4.3 V6 engines use the same set-up, the pulleys, brackets and accessories will bolt up to a V8.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When GM went to the 1987 and later engines there were more bolt holes in the ends of the heads. I don't know for sure if any of the newest bolt holes are used for mounting the serpentine brackets or not. Just another thing to consider before jumping into it too deep. The engines produced before 1987 had 3 holes in one end of the head and 1 in the oppostie end, the 1987 and newer have 3 maybe even 4 bolt holes in both ends of the heads.

4. Mr. Infinity

Mr. Infinity Registered Member

You shouldn't have ANY problems. Try to get the brackets off of an 89-91 vehicle they are cast aluminum, the brackets off of 87-88 vehicles are metal and don't look as organized. Either way check out this link to look at the conversion kits GM offers, it has part numbers listed for all the parts. GM catalog I used parts off of a junkyard truck, I think I paid $125 for everything, he even let me have the whole wiring harness too.

5. Mr. Infinity

Mr. Infinity Registered Member

Oh yeah from what I remember, the brackets don't bolt to the heads, just the front of the block. You have two studs and like five other bolts. I can check mine tonight when I get home to make sure if you need me to.

6. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh yeah from what I remember, the brackets don't bolt to the heads, just the front of the block.

[/ QUOTE ]

2 of the studs used to bolt on the brackets are in the heads. The passenger side is attached at 1 mounting point on the head, the driver's side is 2 (one bolt, one stud).

7. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just remember that the water pump on serpentine systems runs backwards, so get a new water pump, only $20 or so. I bolted all that stuff on a 74 400 with the TBI heads, and no probs here. Most heads have the holes you need to bolt it up, inless you have fuelie heads or something of that vintage. Nevermind bout the w/pump, just read that!!

8. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">So this stuff will clear my valve covers too, right? I have some cheezy autozone chome covers, but they're stock height

9. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Should fit no prob, if they are stock height. If they do, you could always "clearance" them with a ford tool.