Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Serpentine belt conversion?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I can't make the search feature work here... Can anyone point me to info on converting to serpentine belts? I'm pretty sure I've heard of people doing it.

2. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

3. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

This WAS a tech article on it but the info was lost.....sandman may have some answers for you tho clickity

4. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I am wondering what is the advantage of this? Is it just so you can have one belt, or is there a better efficiency with the conversion?

It definitely has a high bling factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they are less prone to breakage, they don't squeal like V-belts, and with the auto tensioner they always have the correct tension, at least in theory. I think they are also claimed to rob less horsepower, but I'm not so sure about that.

I spotted this retro kit on Jeg's, but it looks like sort of a hybrid. The belts are serpentine-like, but there are two of them still and no tensioner:

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=3557&prmenbr=361