Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Serpentine Belt Replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, Nov 29, 2000.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

OK everybody. I can't believe I couldn't find it with a search....maybe I'm only stupid one.

How do I change my serpentine belt on my 90 w/ a 350? It has a tension arm at the top that it bolted to the alternator. There is a bolt at the pulley end of the arm with an circumferential arror that says load. If you need any more info, let me know!!!

Thanks!

<font color=blue>I don't get stuck, I'm just in the mud when I stop for lunch [​IMG]
    - NJFourWheelers</font color=blue>

2. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

If I'm not mistaken.. on the tensioning arm, you find a socket big enough for it.. not sure which way to crank the ratchet.. but it loosens the tension on the belt so you can slip it off.. and make note of how it winds between all the accessories. I had a 1989 Jimmy that I changed the belt on..it was relatively simple.
    There should also be a diagram on the radiator support that shows how to route the belt.

(updated) http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com

3. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Yeah the routing is on a sticker on the fan shroud. Plus I circled the right one in my service manual.

So I just loosen that bolt on the tension arm to get the belt off? Do I have to worry about the tension on it when I put the new one on or does it keep the correct tension when I tighten down the bolt?

Thanks Rocko!!

<font color=blue>I don't get stuck, I'm just in the mud when I stop for lunch [​IMG]

4. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

You only have to counter turn the bolt on the tension arm. You don't have to loosen it. When you counter turn it..you'll see the arm move with it and just pull off the belt once the tension is off the belt. hope this helps.
    Btw.. we'll be in Jersey "Rockaway" for xmas..
    Too bad I won't be driving my Blazer up there..

(updated) http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com

5. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a pretty simple job (Thank God[​IMG]).

Rockaway is pretty far North. Have fun up there though. You will hafta stop down here with your Blazer sometime!

Thanks Rocko!!!

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

On my '88 pickup, I could get the belt off and on easily without any tools. Just push down on the tensioner with your hand.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

You have to use the socket wrench like you are going to loosen the rod that you put the socket on. Put the belt on the bottom pullies first, and when you loosen the tensioner, slip it over the alternator pulley.

90K5

8. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

I've got a 90 as well. Just put a wrench or rachet/socket over the bolt in the center of the tensioner pulley and turn it counterclockwise. You don't undo that bolt, just use it for leverage. You may want to put a pipe on the end of the rachet as there was alot of tension on mine! Also bring the old belt w/ you when you get a new one. Mine didn't match the number at the parts store (5 belts later we figured that out!) Watch your fingers, it hurts REALLY bad to get 'em pinched in there (Don't ask).

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!!

9. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Its really simple. I thought it would be harder to do and found out wrong. Take the rachet what ever size and make sure its long cuz that sucker can be strong. and just flip the belt out. Put the new one one but don't put it around the alt or the belt thingy. When its time to put it all the way on push on the belt thingy again and slip it on like you took it off. Nothing else to do. The belt will make the right tension. Just make sure you put it on the same way you took it off.

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com

10. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Thanks CV. You finally helped me get my head outta my rear end. I couldn't get it through my thick skull that I needed to put a wrench on the pulley to get leverage. I was trying to figure out why I would need a wrench on the pulley when that bolt doesn't do anything. Thanks though. After I read your post, I went out and it in about 5 seconds.

Thanks!! [​IMG]